Sliding forwards on my saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ladyrider100

:smile:

I find myself sliding forwards on my saddle - have tried all sorts of angles/positions but still happens?

Any ideas? Is it me, is it my saddle? Bike is right size so its not that I need to - I just do.

Young Un

Are you sliding because of like slippyness (some of my shorts cause me to slide all over the place) or is that you are moving so that you are comfortable. If it's the later, have you actually tried pushing the saddle forward on the rails?

OP
OP
ladyrider100

ladyrider100

Hi

I dont think the tube is too long - it feels comfy most of the time. I tried lots of bikes for frame size etc and have what feels right most of the time - just this slippy thing :smile:

Will try sliding it forwards a bit - maybe its a subconscious comfy thing.

Thanks for your help

andrew_s

Legendary Member
You are in good company :rolleyes:
Spartacus had a special saddle made for him with serrations on the front to stop him sliding on the saddle
tdf_special_bikes_09.jpg

Redvers

Assuming that the size and fitting are all OK, try to buy some traditional leather balm… most horsy type places sell it. Wheelers is the best if you can find it.
This feeds leather of course but also seems to work well on plastic.
Apply to saddle sparingly and lightly buff off.
It provides that little bit of friction which might just do the trick but you will need to reapply from time to time.
Also check out what you are wearing, some of the synthetics, supposedly for cycling, are very slippery.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Some vinyls are quite slippery when new, they get more grippy after a few miles of wear.

ladyrider100 said:
Hi

I dont think the tube is too long - it feels comfy most of the time. I tried lots of bikes for frame size etc and have what feels right most of the time - just this slippy thing ;)

Will try sliding it forwards a bit - maybe its a subconscious comfy thing.

Thanks for your help

I had the same problem when I fitted a new (Brooks) saddle. After a bit of trial and error I found that I'd got it slightly too far forward (I just fitted it by guess and 'looks about right'). I should have done a quick check using a plumb bob to ensure that my knee (with the pedal and crank horizontal in the forward position) was in line with the ball of my foot, and over the pedal spindle as a starting point. More info here
http://sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html#frontback

OP
OP
ladyrider100

ladyrider100

Maybe it will wear in - have only had this bike for a month or so - obviously need to do more riding of it ;)

Been to my local bike shop today and all settings etc are correct so more action is required.

Top Bottom