Sky TV considering upgrading from Sky+ to Sky Stream

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
Team, I am always surprised by the knowledge and experience of all sorts of subjects here.

We are considering Sky Stream TV.

We currently have Sky+ HD Originals with Legacy (free) F1 and are considering upgrading to Sky Stream.
We have full fibre 500mbit internet which is stable, the sky stream doberry would plug in with an ethernet cable just as the HD box does so no wifi worries.
We only have one main TV, its a 14year old HD 37" we have no plans to upgrade it until it fails, and even then we wouldn't go larger.
We currently have a magic eye thing and send the Sky+ to the bedroom TV via a coax, but it rarely gets used so wouldn't want "additional rooms" from sky.
I might consider buying a HDMI Splitter and Sender, but we rarely use the bedroom TV and when we do its usually via Chromecast.
We dont have any funky audio stuff.

The reason we have never upgraded from Sky+ to anything else is because we get the free legacy F1 package. It is the only sports we (I) are interested in, its the only sports we watch or have any desire to watch. However I don't really want to pay £30 a month for it and sports we have no interest in watching.

We are happy with the originals packages, we also have Netflix and it would be nice to roll them together.
The missus has about 15 or so films that she has bought "to keep" on Sky.

The motivation for upgrading is that the price just keeps on rising and were paying about £60 a month with Netflix a further £11 now which I think is ridiculous. (Mrs B moans heartily about the £15 a month TV licence but seems content to pay Sky £50 ***shakes head*** - if it was down to me we wouldn't have sky)

I was all set to do a deal for £50 for Sky Stream. But then I was a bit put off by some of the real life reviews.

Notably that you cant record in the traditional sense and everything comes from the cloud. Can anyone advise if EVERYTHING is on the cloud?
Quite often we might put something on to record, then start playback from the beginning when programme is still running. Is it possible to join programmes showing live from the beginning with stream or do you have to wait for it to finish going out then play it like with traditional catch up?
How quickly after going out are programmes available to stream?

Any other thoughts on Stream?

Sky wont do any new deals on HD allowing me to keep the legacy F1 (which is the only bit of sky I watch) and save £££. I suppose Sky Q is the obvious upgrade, but I don't really want to faff about replacing the dish (I'd love to scrap it) it's location means that sky wont touch it and want to relocate it and I believe sky have launched their last satellite and will be moving to a streaming platform.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you don't get an answer here, AV Forums will have loads of real life feedback on it.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I'm on Sky Q, also with the legacy Sky Sports F1 and am also reluctant to interfere with it for fear of losing F1 (I don't want to take a whole Sky Sports package just for F1, I'm not interested in football or golf or boxing etc).

I had mulled a move to Sky Stream - initially it was Sky Glass and I wasn't going to lock my TV hardware in to Sky, but with Stream this isn't an issue. However I still feel connected to the dish, knowing that if the broadband goes down I can still access a TV signal. I have no aerial so can't pick up terrestrial broadcasts. Plus the whole house is wired for coax.

I do stream stuff though - Netflix and the like, but I have a, perhaps old-fashioned, reluctance to rely solely on streaming for all entertainment.

We have Sky Glass, which is Stream built into a telly, and you can 'watch from start' if you join mid-way through, with a slight (but not really inconvenient) twist. If you join a terrestrial programme mid-way and choose to watch from start, the TV launches the broadcaster's streaming app to show the programme so there's an extra step to sign in to i-player/All4 etc. There's also, iirc, a slight delay if you want to watch a programme that's just finished: you have to wait for it to be uploaded in its entirety to the relevant streaming app. which can take a few minutes

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I’ve got Sky Stream and very pleased with it. I thought when I switched from the old satellite box the picture and sound were both better on stream.

You can catch up on most stuff plus watch from the start if you have missed it. I just pay for the cheapest package which was £26 and includes Netflix and Eurosport so handy for the cycling.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I’ve got Sky Stream and very pleased with it. I thought when I switched from the old satellite box the picture and sound were both better on stream.

You can catch up on most stuff plus watch from the start if you have missed it. I just pay for the cheapest package which was £26 and includes Netflix and Eurosport so handy for the cycling.

i think my plan with box is £32 , i dont have netflix but i have disney plus on top

albion

Guru
Appears many Stream devices and Glass TVs got bricked yesterday.

So far Sky has stayed silent.
Edit - no reddit on the issue so looking minor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom