Skip find Claud Butler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

terry willis

Über Member
I have rescued a very rusty CB frame and rear wheel (the front was disintegrating and left behind)..it is probably too structurally compromised to be used again (?), but I'm intrigued by what it is....looking at web sites I am tending to think it 's a late 1940's Velo or similar. The headset is a clamp type, no gears but a 26 x 1 1/4 inch wheelset the rear with a flip flop hub (rescued this). Chromed fork ends and dropouts the rear with a strange 90 degree slotted bend. Resilion cantilever brakes which are now mainly just rust and curved seat stay bridge which is not drilled for brakes (the cantilevers bolt on to the forks/stays).

P1010495.JPG

P1010496.JPG

P1010497.JPG

P1010500.JPG

It is in original paint (I think) which is black with white pin striping (and lots of rust especially on the chromed parts and brakes), if there is any interest I will try and post more pictures. No 531 transfers and headbadge is a transfer (CB Works Clapham London England), Steel pedals with CL (Chater Lea ?) Oil ports on bottom bracket and head tube

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have rescued a very rusty CB frame and rear wheel (the front was disintegrating and left behind)..it is probably too structurally compromised to be used again (?), but I'm intrigued by what it is....looking at web sites I am tending to think it 's a late 1940's Velo or similar. The headset is a clamp type, no gears but a 26 x 1 1/4 inch wheelset the rear with a flip flop hub (rescued this). Chromed fork ends and dropouts the rear with a strange 90 degree slotted bend. Resilion cantilever brakes which are now mainly just rust and curved seat stay bridge which is not drilled for brakes (the cantilevers bolt on to the forks/stays).

View attachment 739843

View attachment 739844

View attachment 739845

View attachment 739846

It is in original paint (I think) which is black with white pin striping (and lots of rust especially on the chromed parts and brakes), if there is any interest I will try and post more pictures. No 531 transfers and headbadge is a transfer (CB Works Clapham London England), Steel pedals with CL (Chater Lea ?) Oil ports on bottom bracket and head tube

Welcome to the forum @terry willis
You've given yourself a bit of a job there, but we'll be very interested in how you get on with the restoration. We love pictures on this forum.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Nice find @terry willis and welcome.
My first thoughts on the rear drop outs were for some chain tugs but not so sure.
Should be a date code on the Williams crank
Would be a shame to loose the original decals but I don't think you have many options.
Keep us posted.
Trying to think who is the resident Claud Butler guru ?

Top Bottom