single speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pedxxx

Hi from Cramlington Northumberland

I cycle to work over farm tracks and just recently as you can imagine things have been getting fairly muddy.

I don't even bother using the gears as the mud gets in and they are unusable.

I was thinking about changing it to single speed. I appreciate there will be plenty of threads on this but the thing is, it is an Apollo. I have been told they have freewheels which means nothing to me but apparently this complicates things.

What exactly do I need to do to convert this and who will sell the kit?

Keep it simple as I know nothing about bikes.

Cheers

Phil

Mrs M

Guru
:welcome:

Sharky

Guru
If your frame has horizontal rear ends. That is one that allows the wheels to move back and forward a bit, then this will take up the slack in the chain. Then all you need to do is to remove the rear mechs, split the chain and take out a few links and rejoin the chain. You can keep the cassette at the back, just select the sprocket you like riding in. You can leave all the cables in place, just in case you change your mind, but tape them up, so they don't get tangled.

A chain splitter is only a few pounds and should come with instructions or just google splitting chains.

Good luck,

Keith

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi and welcome.

as has been mentioned, the angle of the rear dropouts ( the fork bits that the wheel\axel slots into) are the main issue. Fixed wheel bike rely on some lateral movement to tighten the chain and allow you to take the wheel off.

not sure what yours look like but if they point down, like most modern road bikes...its a non starter.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Hi from Cramlington Northumberland

I cycle to work over farm tracks and just recently as you can imagine things have been getting fairly muddy.

I don't even bother using the gears as the mud gets in and they are unusable.

I was thinking about changing it to single speed. I appreciate there will be plenty of threads on this but the thing is, it is an Apollo. I have been told they have freewheels which means nothing to me but apparently this complicates things.

What exactly do I need to do to convert this and who will sell the kit?

Keep it simple as I know nothing about bikes.

Cheers

Phil
I'm just doing the very same thing to my Colnago Master. I've had the bike for about 7 years but recently my cross bike gets all the attention so I've decided to go single speed with it for a bit of fun. There are several sites on line that sell just the kit you need, one being "Charlie bike monger" in Dorset. They do on-line orders and the whole kit won't cost you much over £70 unless you go ultra top end. The kit includes spacers for the freewheel, 2 rear sprockets and chain tensioner. You just need to add a new chain, front sprocket and a new pack of crank set bolts, job done!

Top Bottom