Signing in from Johannesburg, South Africa.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonus

Veteran
Hi

Just a quick hello from Jo'burg.

I ride MTB and Road. Will post some pics of some of the amazing places we get to ride as soon as I'm able.

Regards

Bonus

ScotiaLass

Guru
:welcome: from Scotland
I ride a MTB and a hybrid

Ganymede

Veteran
I think you might be our first from SA! Though some of us have visited - I was there 18 months ago (Durban though) and was supposed to be there again this week but it's been postponed. I didn't notice much cycling there but perhaps you'll tell us about the cycling scene in Johannesburg!

Welcome!

Debade

Über Member
Hi Bonus, I live in USA now but lived in Polokwane for 2 years while serving in Peace Corps. Since we were not allowed to drive, except on holiday, we (wife) commuted all over by bike. A few nice bike stores in Polokwane and a great opportunity for people to begin commuting in order to save on taxi fees. Polokwane could use some infrastructure and support. I know the mayor and head of traffic visited Brazil in the early 2000s to see their programs. But when we left in 2008, little to nothing was done. We loved our time there!

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
Glad you enjoyed your stay Debade - The locals are probably safer riding a bike whilst wearing a blindfold than they would be using a Minibus Taxi :-(

Dayvo - your winter or our winter?

B.

Debade

Über Member
@Bonus I rode the taxis all the time. There were times I did not feel safe but I can say the same about driving with my son :smile:. Not a bad way of getting around. I just did not like the policy of waiting for the taxi to fill before leaving. I would have preferred a schedule. For the local taxi, it worked well becuase they filled up in minutes. The long distant taxi was unpredictable for some locations. Our office was in Pretoria. Going from Pretoria to Polokwane, the taxis filled up fast. On holidays, even faster. I do miss RSA.

Debade

Über Member
We were able to get all over. We had Peace Corps friends in Tzaneen. We stayed a little bit after our service and visited many countries in the south. Our daughter got married while we were there in wine country.

Top Bottom