Self extracting bolts and dust covers (Square taper cranks)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The dust covers for the tandem cranks are lost and gone forever, so I was going to buy some new ones.

My search discovered the existence of self extracting captive bolts which also act as crank removers, if I've read correctly.

And I think the one remaining dust cover I have is one of these - I thought it was just a fancy and annoying dust cover, and have never used as a crank extractor. I also thought it was plastic, but I'm guessing must be aluminium (or even steel?) Presumably you just undo the bolt and the crank is pulled out? I've always undone the cover (sometimes with difficulty) as I've undone the bolt, then used a crank extractor.

Can anyone confirm if my understanding is right? And also does anyone use these, are they reliable? I'm very wary of crank extractors and threads generally, but I guess if the crank is AL, there's no reason why the extractor shouldn't be.

Pic attached of the current one.

And, naturally, I'm after bling new ones, gold and blue front and back to match the two-tone tandem frame.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crank-Bo...MI6sGeiP_5iAMVZ4BQBh0OnzygEAQYASABEgJORvD_BwE

Anyone know of a source closer to home, and/or assuring quality? Middleburn ones seem to exist, but not for square taper AFAICT

1000009038.jpg

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
They are just fancy crank bolts. To remove the cranks you will need a puller.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
They're notoriously unreliable. I have a set installed in my touring bike but will only ever use them in an emergency out on the road. If the cranks ever need to come off at home i use a proper crank extractor.

Thanks, I suspected as much.

Top Bottom