Santander to Madrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlamorganGuy

Anyone attempted to cycle from Santander ferry port to Madrid? All advice (about this route and cycling in Spain generally) received gratefully....

Emanresu

That's going to be a bit of a challenge. You've got the mountains just outside Santander up to the mesata around Burgos. Then you have a flat bit until the climbs before Madrid.

As regards cycling in Spain, it's good. Lots of support for it including Via Verdes (Santander-Valencia) which you could use as far as Burgos.

Also the drivers are considerate and will give you space (cos fines otherwise).

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I cycled from the south coast up towards Madrid through the mountains. Road surfaces were good and drivers gave us loads of room. The Via Verdes were great. Watch out for the shop and cafe opening hours. There can be a long stretch in the afternoon with nothing open.

Sorry, I can't give any specific advice on your route.

jay clock

Massive member
Spain is a great place to ride. Lots of empty country and what looks like a village on a map is often almost derelict.

There is a bit of a tendency to convert main roads to motorways sometimes leaving no non-motorway alternative. Where the old road is paralleled by a new motorway it can be paradise or hell depending on whether the new road is a toll road or not.

For route planning i use Ride With GPS. i have a paid subscription which gives a heat map, which allows me to see actual routes that others have done

I wear a helmet so never had any issues in that regard

Top Bottom