Saba El Kheyr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Greetings from the hot Egyptian sun!

I have joined to give my scuba diving forum members a break when I need help with my bicycle. I have lived for the past 10+ years on the Red Sea Coast of Egypt in a beautiful place called El Gouna. The roads in Egypt are very dangerous, very little education on road safety, so I love to ride my bicycle everywhere and stick to the safer beaches, desert tracks, and sand roads where possible.

I bought a secondhand Chinese bike from a friend for LE20 (around GBP16) with a plan to use it to go to the gym! Loved cycling everywhere instead and saved myself a fortune in gym membership.

2lkfmf6.jpg

Orginally from the UK, I was a keen cyclist there too and had a mountain bike which I would put on the back of my little sports car and book weekends in quaint country pubs and explore canal paths around the country. I miss the beautiful, green countryside and scenery along the tow paths, but don't miss the rain! I lived in Guildford in Surrey and had a static caravan in Middleton-on-Sea for many years.

Bike shops are hard to find here in Egypt. There is a shop in my town but it mainly caters for motorbikes and desert bikes. They don't speak any English, don't have basics like tyre levers, and even finding a new tyre can be hard. If I do take my bike for a puncture repair it only costs LE25 for a new inner tube and fitted while you wait (GBP2). I am just experimenting with new slime tubes that my brother brought out with him recently. You have to rely on friends bringing things out from the UK like puncture repair kits, clip on shopping bags, etc.

I knitted my own saddle cover! With the temperature up to 41 degrees this month you can imagine how hot the saddle gets!!

Happy to help if anyone has any questions about Egypt. I have travelled all over the country and very passionate about living here. I haven't updated this album for a while but when I first got my bike I posted photos of everywhere I went on it!

That's all for now!

Georgina

Last edited by a moderator:

ScotiaLass

Guru
:welcome: from not so hot and sunny Scotland!

Your bike looks fab!
I ride a mountain bike but have recently got a Dawes hybrid so I can ride to the shops.
I have a basket for the front and will get betting panniers :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Really? I saw a kid just yesterday, getting his tyres off with a pair of teaspoons. I'm pretty sure that it's still common practices out in the provinces ^_^ We're not all posh like you @raleighnut :laugh:
I've bent many a spoon in me time, been clipped round the ear for it an all. How was I to know those thin ones were for best and I had 'tried to straighten em, honest':unsure:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I've bent many a spoon in me time, been clipped round the ear for it an all. How was I to know those thin ones were for best and I had 'tried to straighten em, honest':unsure:
The best bit about a pair of teaspoons in your saddlebag is when you fancy a snack, you can have yoghurt or jelly and have the right utensil for eating - after giving the spoon a bit of a rub on your jersey at either end of the snack, obviously :tongue:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome. I have been to the Red Sea on the Israeli side at Eilat. The diving there is fantastic. Obviously you don't feel intimidated about living there with all the trouble we have been hearing about. Glad you have discovered cycling and it's keeping you fit. I know what cycling in the hot sun can be like though. If you need stuff from the UK most on line retailers use couriers like DHL now but can be pricey. Have fun.

Top Bottom