Route advice , Ireland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Guru
Early days , but planning a 2025 trip.
Few days in Ireland.
Looking for some local advice.
Best way out of Belfast heading west towards Leitrim, family roots journey.

Train + ferry to Belfast. Then hopefully the same day take a 40 or 50 mile chunk out the journey.
Day 2, head for Manorhamilton.

Any advice on route, places to avoid , roads or paths to use or definitely not to use.

Thanks

classic33

Leg End Member
@tyred, @DCLane and @Sixmile spring to mind for information.

There's also a few threads in touring on various routes in Ireland.
Will you be going as far as the Shannon?

OP
OP
pjd57

pjd57

Guru
@tyred, @DCLane and @Sixmile spring to mind for information.

There's also a few threads in touring on various routes in Ireland.
Will you be going as far as the Shannon?

Still a work in progress.
Belfast to Manorhamilton is the original idea.
I don't want to rely on Google in places I don't know.
So looking for suggested route west from Belfast and recommendations for a stopping point . Plenty of time but I'd like to get accommodation arranged

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't know that area particularly well but one possible option would be to take a train to Portadown and then make your way towards Armagh , Aughnacloy, Clougher, Fivemiletown, Enniskillen and then on to Leitrim.

I'd need to have a look at the map and see what minor roads are available in those areas but that should be doable and it's nice area too. Would be some hills involved.

OP
OP
pjd57

pjd57

Guru
I don't know that area particularly well but one possible option would be to take a train to Portadown and then make your way towards Armagh , Aughnacloy, Clougher, Fivemiletown, Enniskillen and then on to Leitrim.

I'd need to have a look at the map and see what minor roads are available in those areas but that should be doable and it's nice area too. Would be some hills involved.

Thanks.
Sounds a bit like the options I've been looking at. ( without the train)
Glasgow to Stranraer is hopefully my only train journey.
Start early, Belfast by early afternoon then 4 or 5 hours max, on the bike .

Hills ?
Are we talking epics or lumpy bits ?
It's not exactly flat in Scotland so I don't mind some climbing

Emanresu

If you go to OpenCycleMap you’ll see the official cycle routes in Ireland to give you an idea of choices. Did whole of Ireland last year and had no problem riding the local roads. There are many parts where you won’t see anyone outside the main towns.

avsd

Guru
Cycle.travel is a great resource as suggested by @richardfm . Cyclepath from Belfast docks Duncrue St) to Lisburn is a great way out of Belfast. It is a Sustran developed route. A visit to Titanic Centre in Belfast would be a great start/end of trip depended on ferry times. Armagh is also an interesting city and not too big a detour. Leitrim is a beautiful county if the weather is kind to you.

Here is a route I used to get towards Enniskillen on Cycle.Travel. Route to Tempo parts near Armagh were through the orchard area.
Stay of 'N' roads in Ireland e.g. N5 as they are main trunk routes. Roads in NI are same naming convention as UK so avoid 'A' roads where possible. Cycle.travel is your friend here.

Sixmile

Guru
Early days , but planning a 2025 trip.
Few days in Ireland.
Looking for some local advice.
Best way out of Belfast heading west towards Leitrim, family roots journey.

Train + ferry to Belfast. Then hopefully the same day take a 40 or 50 mile chunk out the journey.
Day 2, head for Manorhamilton.

Any advice on route, places to avoid , roads or paths to use or definitely not to use.

Thanks

Your ferry probably drops you at Duncrue Industrial estate which is a few easy flat miles into the city centre. Out of Belfast, I'd tend to head south down the Lagan towpath (it's actually a pleasant cycle) that gets you to Lisburn without touching a road. Lisburn to Lurgan is done on quiet minor roads which snake back and forth over the M1. Lurgan to Portadown is all segregated cycle path. From Portadown you've then the choice to ride to Armagh or Dungannon direction. I've done the latter and drove the former. I'd tend to split down the middle and ride towards Loughgall, apple country. Some lovely winding roads to there. Beyond that, I've never really cycled in Co. Fermanagh but that's you half way anyhow

Sixmile

Guru
You'll exit on the Dargan Road. First stop Greggs.

Na not Greggs - sure you can get them anywhere.

If you've time, cycle in round behind the Odyssey/SSE Arena which is very close to the Titanic Centre - it's all good flat cycle routes around there and go to the Dock Cafe, Belfast's (maybe irelands?) only 'honesty' cafe where you pay what you want. Alot of interesting artifacts, artwork etc in there and the best scones & haystack buns in the land :tongue:

Chris S

Legendary Member

That's the Clogher Valley. It's fairly flat, there used to be a light railway running along it.

I think the main road through Manor Hamilton is fairly steep though. I went there once years ago tracing one of my ancestors as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Irwin

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
As @Sixmile says there’s some really nice countryside out from Lisburn towards Portadown/Dungannon/Armagh with lots of quiet minor country roads. For me Lurgan/Craigavon/Portadown area is a bit of an urban jungle and can be quite confusing to navigate so best to plan your route well in advance and have it downloaded to a GPS - I’ve found myself getting lost and doing laps of dual carriageway / busy A roads on the couple of times I’ve been in that area.
Good Luck

Top Bottom