Roubaix steerer tube and headset question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Über Member
On my ride on Saturday I went over a speed hump. Not a bad one, just a fairly normal width of road one in a 20 zone and I was only doing 15-16mph. So a little bump up but nothing untoward. As the front wheel went over I heard a loudish click from the front. I pulled up immediately and examined everything like the wheel, forks, hub, caliper etc. Everything seemed ok and I finished my ride, only about 4 miles from home.

I think (hope) it was the headset being slightly loose. So adjusting it this afternoon I fully unscrewed the compression cap, and this long bronze coloured bolt came with it. From google and reddit I understand this is part of the expander. Luckily it wasn't seized onto the compression bolt so I removed it and replaced it in the steerer. I couldn't find a torque setting online so torqued it up to about 4.5nm and then replaced the compression cap and finished tightening the headset up just until the spacers would not move by finger pressure.

Everything seems tight, no wobbles or rattles now and steering is smooth and free. My question is, is this now ok to ride or is there likely to be something amiss that I should get checked out?

Attachments

• IMG_1349.jpeg
    IMG_1349.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 8

Sharky

Guru
If there is no play when rock the bike with the brakes on, you've done it ok.

But the process you described is a bit complex? All you need to do is to undo the pinch bolts/clamp at the side and with a small Allen key tighten up the compression cap bolt with a minute turn until no play, then tighten up the side clamp again.

Cheers

OP
OP
D

Dadam

Über Member
If there is no play when rock the bike with the brakes on, you've done it ok.

But the process you described is a bit complex? All you need to do is to undo the pinch bolts/clamp at the side and with a small Allen key tighten up the compression cap bolt with a minute turn until no play, then tighten up the side clamp again.

Cheers

Thanks for the info. I mainly took the cap off to look for anything broken.

Top Bottom