Roberts " Roughstuff " ladies touring bicycle ( 5'2" )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
UPDATE: " STUCK ' SEATPOST SUCCESSFULLY REMOVED 👍

My wife has decided that her road bike days are over and is selling her custom built bike.
She has put together a few particulars as follows.
Roberts Roughstuff Specifications
General: Custom built Roughstuff from 2006, very well used since.

Please note the seat post is stuck inside the seat tube, despite repeated efforts to free it, it remains jammed. So bike may only be useful for parts.
IMG_6607.JPG

Frame: Small step through. Seat post to BB – 42cm; seat post to handlebars - 52cm; top tube – 13 cm. Ridden by 5ft 2in woman. Paintwork chipped – see photos.
Bars changed from drops to flat
Wheels: Sputnik 26 inch
Hub: Rohloff 14 speed
Brakes: Avid disc
Pedals: Shimano Saint, mountain bike style
Saddle: Women’s Selle Italia, magnesium rails
Dynamo: Son. BM Lumotech IQ LED light
Miscellaneous: Tubus rack. Ergon grips
Price, £650
collection only from Poole, Dorset

Rohloff.JPG

chips.JPG

crank.JPG

badge.JPG

handle.JPG

IMG_6435.JPG

IMG_6434.JPG

Last edited:

Boopop

Guru
I suspect a photo of the whole bike would help with the sale :smile:

OP
OP
Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

Guru
It's a lovely little bike. All the bike 99% of people would ever need.

A real shame if the post couldn't be freed as the frame is so highly regarded.

I don't have any decent grips or stillsons ( sp?). My method to try and free the post was WD40 and a block of wood under the saddle attachment which I hit with a hammer from underneath to try to drive the post upwards. The seatpost may well be freeable but we didn't want to mislead people.
I think it was in the region of £4.5K new.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I don't have any decent grips or stillsons ( sp?). My method to try and free the post was WD40 and a block of wood under the saddle attachment which I hit with a hammer from underneath to try to drive the post upwards. The seatpost may well be freeable but we didn't want to mislead people.
I think it was in the region of £4.5K new.

If I had use for the cycle, I'd certainly take the bet, as it were but I'm afraid I passed you by this morning on the way back from Devon on Sea. 🥲

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My method to try and free the post was WD40 and a block of wood under the saddle attachment which I hit with a hammer from underneath to try to drive the post upwards. The seatpost may well be freeable but we didn't want to mislead people.

You would be better of focussing on twisting it free, rather than bashing. Use a longer bar between the saddle rails for leverage.

clearly going to appeal more to buyers once you've freed it.

Nibor

Bewildered
You would be better of focussing on twisting it free, rather than bashing. Use a longer bar between the saddle rails for leverage.

clearly going to appeal more to buyers once you've freed it.

If you can get the seatpot in an engineers vice send plusgas or similar down the seat tube from the bottom bracket and the frame is your leverage

Gunk

Guru
It's a lovely little bike. All the bike 99% of people would ever need.

A real shame if the post couldn't be freed as the frame is so highly regarded.

I‘ve never failed to remove one. Strip the bike. Seat post in a vice and use the frame as leverage, always works!

edit - sorry didn’t read @Nibor near identical thread above, but demonstrates that great minds think alike!

OP
OP
Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

Guru
Thanks for all the welcome advice. Were I still working it would be a doddle. My workbench sported a very very big Record bench vice and had a set of old Stilsons that were about 5 feet tall, that would certainly shift it. The Roberts has gone back into the shed, I might tackle it again in a few days once I have recovered from my journey.

Top Bottom