Road Bike Headset Removal - mangled thread on headset cover - Phase 3

• Thread starter Deleted member 35268
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 35268

Continuing on from previous episodes

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/r...d-on-headset-cover.297514/page-2#post-7233632

I never got the forks off and the star nut is damaged so....

1 - How can I remove the star nut assembly ? It is very loose and corroded and damaged, but it won't come out from the top
2 - The forks won't budge because there is some white wax / lube residue that has bonded the alloy to the other metal - the same happened with the rings.
I also never got the headset collar and ring off either. So I think I am going to heat the whole thing and see if I can get the residue to melt. Perhaps the expansion and contraction of heat might help/

Or just take it to an LBS - they will know what they are doing!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Star Nuts need knocking down - leave in or if you can knock out the bottom if there is a hole big enough.

Given you are having so much trouble so far, and a block of wood on top of the stem and a hammer won't remove the forks, I'd go to the bike shop.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 35268

So, I took the crazy decision to cut the heaset off. It started badly and I thought I had made a big mistake.
Then, after an hour I started to get into the headset which was still not budging.
Finally it was off. And yes I have damaged the top of the forks.
The bearings inside were completely rusted and fell apart - however I am now stuck with a new challenge - getting all of the old bearings out

old_bearings.jpg

headset0.jpg

headset1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think these pt1-pt3 -ptX thread's should combined into one thread entitled / subtitled "how to fark your bike up by ignoring the advice of taking it to your LBS / someone who knows what they are doing"

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 35268

I think these pt1-pt3 -ptX thread's should combined into one thread entitled / subtitled "how to fark your bike up by ignoring the advice of taking it to your LBS / someone who knows what they are doing"

GET LOST @T4tomo

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 35268

Apologies maybe it was a bit harsh and you are clearly having a bad day.

No no - I just don't appreciate know it alls who search the forum for insult fodder like you do. Get a life. Proper nasty.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 35268

"Take it to the LBS" - Any other advice ?

One person here doesn't understand the rules - about life's courtesies let alone about the forum - and hasn't been understanding the advice over the last few weeks.

Where are the Mods when they're needed!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 35268

One person here doesn't understand the rules - about life's courtesies let alone about the forum - and hasn't been understanding the advice over the last few weeks.

Do you mean me or the other person ?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Mod note:

By way of reply:

Just getting on with the rest of their life. 🙂

None of us are on here 24/7/365 and when we are we do not have time to read every thread, let alone every post.

If you encounter a problematic post in the future please use the Report function within said post. These are flagged to us so that we may investigate asap.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom