RIP Noam Chomsky ☹️ Looking like that could be wrong !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
RIP Noam Chomsky who died today aged 95....absolute legend who'll be sadly missed.

Which part of Chomsky did you like? The linguistics or the political/social commentary?

AndyRM

XOXO
I wonder how long an actual RIP Chomsky thread would last on here.

Given how old he is everywhere will have their obit written/recorded/filmed and ready to launch. I guess somebody clicked publish on the wrong article at New Statesman.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You read New Statesman?

I used to have a subscription and still buy it occasionally

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I used to have a subscription and still buy it occasionally

Have posted this before, but some while ago I glanced at an interesting looking New Scientist, with an article on the moon landings complete with astronaut on the cover. Bought it and started reading and it was pretty interesting. Another good article on global warming, then I turned to the back and the usual amusing collection of light hearted sciency stuff had been replaced by some Will Self column. Fair enough, maybe the usual collator is on holiday, then I turned it over to find I'd gone and bought New Statesman by mistake. Fair play though, I'd read half of it before realising, but does go to show it is a pretty decent journal, and I do now buy the occasional one.

I had lapsed up my subscription back in the day as they'd started to uncritically publish any old shyte providing it was left wing, without any thought of whether there was the slightest truth - almost as bad as a lefty mirror of the Daily Mail. My occasional more recent purchases suggest it's back to being a reasonable decent paper, naturally with progressive / lefty slant as you'd expect

Drago

Legendary Member
Have posted this before, but some while ago I glanced at an interesting looking New Scientist, with an article on the moon landings complete with astronaut on the cover. Bought it and started reading and it was pretty interesting. Another good article on global warming, then I turned to the back and the usual amusing collection of light hearted sciency stuff had been replaced by some Will Self column. Fair enough, maybe the usual collator is on holiday, then I turned it over to find I'd gone and bought New Statesman by mistake. Fair play though, I'd read half of it before realising, but does go to show it is a pretty decent journal, and I do now buy the occasional one.

I had lapsed up my subscription back in the day as they'd started to uncritically publish any old shyte providing it was left wing, without any thought of whether there was the slightest truth - almost as bad as a lefty mirror of the Daily Mail. My occasional more recent purchases suggest it's back to being a reasonable decent paper, naturally with progressive / lefty slant as you'd expect

This happened to me. I bought a copy of the Guardian one day and after reading a few articles and closely examining some pictures I thought, "blimey, these guys have really lightened up the tone with their new style coverage of economic and social matters."

Turns out I'd bought a copy of Razzle in error.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
This happened to me. I bought a copy of the Guardian one day and after reading a few articles and closely examining some pictures I thought, "blimey, these guys have really lightened up the tone with their new style coverage of economic and social matters."

Turns out I'd bought a copy of Razzle in error.

We’ve all been there.
Was it the readers wives section that caught you out?

Top Bottom