Ring type door bells. Any recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
My remote door bell is very hit n miss so needs replacing.
The family want one that notifies your phone so you can see/speak to the visitor.
I do not want one with a contract.
Any experiences/recommendations good or bad ?

Tenkaykev

Guru
My remote door bell is very hit n miss so needs replacing.
The family want one that notifies your phone so you can see/speak to the visitor.
I do not want one with a contract.
Any experiences/recommendations good or bad ?

I haven't got the doorbell but I do have several eufy wireless security cameras that I use as wildlife cameras to excellent effect. They talk to your local wireless network and don't need a cloud account ( though there is an option if you are so minded ) They do a couple of wired/ wireless doorbells and are often " on sale " every couple of months.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I haven't got the doorbell but I do have several eufy wireless security cameras that I use as wildlife cameras to excellent effect. They talk to your local wireless network and don't need a cloud account ( though there is an option if you are so minded ) They do a couple of wired/ wireless doorbells and are often " on sale " every couple of months.

Thanks.
I have seen your excellent wildlife results.
Never heard of eufy...... I will Google that.

si_c

Guru
Don't get a Eufy system - they have had lots of issues where people can view other people's cameras and they basically didn't give a sh!t.

You've got Ring - works without a subscription and has remote ringers so it acts like a traditional door bell. Similarly Google's nest doorbell operates in the same way. There are also Swann doorbell cameras which can interact with a traditional camera system and record locally not on the cloud.

For Ring and Google these work better with a subscription but do work without you just don't get the option to save 30 days or whatevers worth of people at your door usually.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Don't get a Eufy system - they have had lots of issues where people can view other people's cameras and they basically didn't give a sh!t.

You've got Ring - works without a subscription and has remote ringers so it acts like a traditional door bell. Similarly Google's nest doorbell operates in the same way. There are also Swann doorbell cameras which can interact with a traditional camera system and record locally not on the cloud.

For Ring and Google these work better with a subscription but do work without you just don't get the option to save 30 days or whatevers worth of people at your door usually.

The Eufy security issues ( detailed here) https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...th-unencrypted-video-access-pledges-overhaul/

Are something I was well aware of before I purchased my system, and had the issues not been comprehensively resolved I wouldn't have purchased my units. All my wildlife footage is encrypted on camera and decrypted on the fly when I access them. Nothing goes to the " cloud " unless I specifically upload a video clip to their servers.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
In any event, does it really matter if your neighbour views your garden badger, or the postman walking up your drive?

its not like such camera's are inside your house.

Top Bottom