Ridgeback Adventure 503 CS: Diet Plan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry for the poor picture. I'll take a better one and post it later on in the thread.
img_20240408_134614-jpg.jpg

This bike is a boat anchor. Not helped by some of the things I've added to it.
I also find it supremely uncomfortable to ride long distances - although I'd only just twigged how far back the saddle is on the rails. I've no idea why I would have done that.

@raleighnut advises that the chainset is a boat anchor. And that the finishing kit is heavy. But beneath that, lies a good frame.
I'm quite happy with flat bars, so long as they have bar ends. Before I start buying new parts, I need some advice.

I realise that changing the bars, stem, bar ends and seatpost is all fairly straight forward. Just a case of measuring the diameters and buying lighter replacements of the same diameter. I'll be hunting from e-bay mainly. What brands should I be looking at?

As I've damaged the middle ring of the chainset, I figure I should go ahead and change the whole thing. I need to replace the bottom bracket too whilst I'm there because the current one is on the way out. Any advice on how I ensure the replacements keep the same chainline? Is it just a case of getting a BB with the same length spindles, or does the chainset choice make a difference?

One final thing. Another thing that irritates me about this bike is there's only one set of lugs for mounting a bottle cage. I haven't measured it, but the front triangle looks a bit small for getting another bottle and cage in their anyway. Any suggestions on getting another bottle/cage mounted somewhere on the bike?

Thanks.

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

I dragged the bike out for a look at that chainset.

It is a Shimano FC-M151 with 24-34-42 teeth chain rings. They don't look replaceable. It is compatible with CN-HG50 (hyperglide) and CN-UG51 (ultraglide) chains. I'll have to have a closer look at the cassette and see which it is.

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

I've been thinking this over a bit more.

The problem is, if I end up throwing a lot of money at this ... is that I'll be more gutted when it gets nicked.
So I'm quite torn between just replacing the chainset (and probably cassette at this point) or going for some "upgrades".

I can pick up a new chainset for £25 and a 7 speed cassette for around £20. And I already have a new chain.

If I were to go for a proper chainset with replaceable chainrings, I'm either looking at retro NOS one - which seems actually quite spendy - or getting a new wheel built and bringing the components bang up to date.

I think that money is better put towards a touring bike, with this consigned to town and pub trips.

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

Is it not too small for you, as it looks like that is a problem.

It certainly isn't in terms of reach (the saddle shouldn't be that far back).
But yes, I've wondered the same.

I'm starting to re-think this idea.
I'm wondering whether I'm better off with a touring bike.

Gravel bikes are trendy, but many actually don't have the low range gears and they seem to have fairly low 'system weights'. That and they are set-up for more 'fun' handling, when what I really want is stability - both towing and loaded.

Top Bottom