Rider killed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Horrific. So sad to hear that - and for all involved….

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I presume it's the item that's currently on the BBC News website??

I just found a story, relating to the A58 in Leeds ; a road i knew well when i lived near Chapeltown.

I notice from the Beeb photo thay the cycle lane markings have worn away completely in places.

I once raised that a safety issue with a council near me. They still did nothing.

@Kingfisher101 - sorry for the loss. There was a nasty fatal near me on a residential 30mph village road; not someone i knew personally, but well known to a close friend of mine; and as you say, very shocking; it still bothers me to cycle there, years later.

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Some roads just are not safe for cyclists full stop. If it's definitely the fault of the car driver the Police will find out, they always do round here. Its a very busy road and it was rammed with traffic. That driver wont get away with it, if its his fault.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My thoughts go out to all involved , a tragedy :sad:

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I saw that and know the rider. RIP.

I hope Leeds recognises the issue with this stretch of road: I've ridden this bit of the A58 and it's a race track, not a road. They're encouraging city centre cycling without considering the safety of cyclists trying to get to the city centre.

I've ridden it going downwards towards Leeds and I've come up from Roundhay Park then turned right at the lights. I've done that bit he was killed on and had to join the public footpath as a matter of safety this was before there was even a cycle lane there. Its one of the worst roads in the Leeds area for cyclists.

DRM

Guru
it doesn't help that after the roundabout on the A64/A58 junction it's national speed limit, dual carriageway, 70 Mph legally in a car!

Top Bottom