Resin or sintered pads for Shimano road discs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
I'm extremely impressed with my Ultegra disc brakes, which I believe came supplied with resin pads. They provide fantastic braking in any conditions and are wearing well.

I notice that metal sintered pads are available as well as resin pads. Has anyone compared the two types of pads? Any advantages or disadvantages of either?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Pop the pads out and check the part number. J04C are sintered pads. I have always ran sintered on all my bikes. Did once get stuck with the organic pads on my MTB and wasn't impressed, very hit & miss. Sometimes would be great then next ride would behave as if badly contaminated.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Pop the pads out and check the part number. J04C are sintered pads. I have always ran sintered on all my bikes. Did once get stuck with the organic pads on my MTB and wasn't impressed, very hit & miss. Sometimes would be great then next ride would behave as if badly contaminated.

I thought they were L04C for sintered and L02A for resin?

D

Deleted member 23692

All my 3 disc braked bikes use kevlar pads

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, sintered pads have little bits of metal mixed with the material so they wear more slowly. Conversely they are noisy and less effective at braking. They are appropriate for a mountain bike on a 2-day trailquest event in wet conditions, where you can easily wear out a set or regular pads in a day but I'd say you won't like them on a road bike.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Depends on the disc? My deore discs on a road bike are resin only(organic) Im not keen to find out what sintered/metallic pads would do, if anything

Horses for courses. The two types of pads are meant for different conditions. Resin pads work well from cold and at lower operating temperatures. They bite quickly and consistently when used at low speeds. Sintered metal pads on the other hand are intended for high-performance riding. They bite at much higher temperatures and perform best when braking hard and consistently. They do last longer in gritty, wet conditions but that's not their primary application. Although it is difficult to box riding styles, think of sintered pads for hard-core endurance/freestyle and downhill riders and resin (also called organic) pads for city riding.

Not all discs are compatible with both types of pads. Resin pads, due to their lower operating temperatures, are generally used on cheaper discs which haven't been heat treated and not made from heat-treatable stainless steel. Sintered pads will quickly destroy them. Sintered pads only work on special discs. The disc's intended utility is usually indicated on the disc but if not, sintered pad discs are recognisable in that they are not stamped out but laser cut to shape.

Further, you cannot just swap nilly-willy between this pad and that pad. Brake pad material transfers (and have to) onto the disc and when putting sintered pads (or vice versa) on a disc that previously had resin pads, is looking for trouble. The result will be noise and poor performance.

There is no commercially available chemical that can de-contaminate a disc from pad residue. Only abrasion can save a disc and prepare it for a different type of pad. No matter what the bottle says, it cannot clear a disc.

Resin pads are the least difficult to live with. They are quiet, brake predictably and quickly. Sintered pads have to warm up before biting hard, leaving them slightly unsatisfying for normal pottering along. Sintered pads are made from metal filings compressed at a temperature that's just-just below the metal's melting temperature. Their grain structure is biscuit like. Resin pads on the other hand are cast from liquid and then cured. The grain structure is glass-like. Both types of pads can be impregnated with fibres such as ceramic, aramid (Kevlar) or asbestos.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just ordered a few sets of THESE semi metallic pads for my son's MTB. Best of both worlds or a waste of money?

Milzy

Guru
I'd leave the sintered pads for down hill mountain bikers and roadies coming down the mountains in the alps and pryanees etc. I know some hardcore MTB Enduro riders who stick to organic pads. Reliable bite in the cold wet mud without horrific brake squal.

subaqua

What’s the point
Discs usually have a little orange label on them saying what pads to use .

Deore XT on mine uses resin GO2A

Last edited:

Kajjal

Guru
Unless you ride off road in really nasty conditions or commute on very muddy, wet, gritty, sandy roads resin pads work much better.

My Diverge is on road through the winter and off / on road in the summer and so far goes through about a set of resin pads a year on the front and less often on the rear.

Top Bottom