Remove rust from chromed steel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

torjus

Hi! I just purchased this Colnago (I think it’s an international) and I want to remove the rust from

IMG_8559.jpeg

IMG_8558.jpeg
the fork, I assume it is chrom, (can anyone confirm?) I tried water an aluminum foil and the rust went away but it also looks like I removed another layer? Any thoughts on this? Is it ok to continue with the aluminum foil? The layer underneath is shiny and better looking. And any tips for polishing after removing the rust? Anything helps! Thanks:smile:

Rust is not something that sits on top of chrome plating. That rust is oxidised steel on sections of missing chrome plating. If you rub it with something that makes it shiny again you are merely removing the top oxidised layer of iron oxide to expose naked steel undereneath, that will rust again before you have had time to open a beer.

That thing is ruined and any fix is only cosmetic and temporary. It can be chemically stripped and re-chromed but it will always look rough and pitted, even with fresh chrome.

Drago

Legendary Member
Soak the rim in oxalic acid.

It sounds horrific, but OA isn't caustic to you or your skin, and its very inexpensive. It's my favourite ungent for removing rust and is almost magically powerful at doing so without harm t chrome, paint or good metal.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Soak the rim in oxalic acid.

It sounds horrific, but OA isn't caustic to you or your skin, and its very inexpensive. It's my favourite ungent for removing rust and is almost magically powerful at doing so without harm t chrome, paint or good metal.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

I use that, in the form of Bar Keeper’s Friend, for cleaning pots and pans etc.. It’s readily available and its primary ingredient is oxalic acid.

That thing is ruined and any fix is only cosmetic and temporary. It can be chemically stripped and re-chromed but it will always look rough and pitted, even with fresh chrome.

A good plater would be able to strip and replate using a first layer of copper to fill the pits and re-polish before the nickel and chrome. It could look as good as new, but how bad is the pitting, if it is bad the forks will have lost a lot of strength.

Punkawallah

Über Member
I scrub rusty chrome plating with tin foil and cola. Will solve the problem unless the rust has eaten through completely, and even then the result looks better than the rust.
This one had rusted wheel rims and handlebars:

Attachments

• IMG_1013.jpeg
    IMG_1013.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 14

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I scrub rusty chrome plating with tin foil and cola. Will solve the problem unless the rust has eaten through completely, and even then the result looks better than the rust.
This one had rusted wheel rims and handlebars:

Looks great. How do you protect it afterwards to encourage it not to / stop it coming back ?

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Alu foil with acid like vinegar/lemon juice then Autosol metal polish which leaves a waxy protective coating.

Sounds good. Do you have any long term experience of how that holds up, to UV, Salt, Weather etc ?

I didn't know if you'd tried a modern synthetic car paintwork sealant, ceramic coating - or even a spray-on nano wax / sealant. Many of which give a minimum of 6 months protection. Ceramic protection being measured in years of course......

A good plater would be able to strip and replate using a first layer of copper to fill the pits and re-polish before the nickel and chrome. It could look as good as new, but how bad is the pitting, if it is bad the forks will have lost a lot of strength.

No amount of plating can fill pits. The substrate has to be absolutely smooth. Any imperfections will simply translate through the various layers and always be visible. In order to fill pits with plating you will have to selectively plate small irrebgular sections, which cannot be done. From what I can see in the photo, that fork will never look good again if replated. The only asthetic salvation is body putty and paint.

newts

Veteran
Sounds good. Do you have any long term experience of how that holds up, to UV, Salt, Weather etc ?

I didn't know if you'd tried a modern synthetic car paintwork sealant, ceramic coating - or even a spray-on nano wax / sealant. Many of which give a minimum of 6 months protection. Ceramic protection being measured in years of course......

With pitted chrome like the op's pictures, you'll need to use the Autosol quite regularly depending on how much exposure it gets. I'm very much in the camp of trying to preserve the original & accept a few flaws where old Chrome is concerned.

No amount of plating can fill pits. The substrate has to be absolutely smooth. Any imperfections will simply translate through the various layers and always be visible. In order to fill pits with plating you will have to selectively plate small irrebgular sections, which cannot be done. From what I can see in the photo, that fork will never look good again if replated. The only asthetic salvation is body putty and paint.

Trust me,I restore metals in a well known museum. Work rules say I can't make endorsements but a decent plater would be able to do something about those pits, but it won't be cheap expect to pay £300-400
https://www.finishing.com/141/29.shtml

Top Bottom