Redmount Roller on eBay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
There is a Redmount Roller listed on eBay in Fareham. It has been re-listed as didn't sell last time - even at £450.
They are getting long in the tooth now - but they are still a lovely trike to ride!
Made by a retired GP in King's Lynn - the Redmount part of the name came from a local landmark and the Roller was a nod to his ambition to make a recumbent that was the Rolls Royce of recumbents - it even had built in arm rests!
Anyone looking for a bargain recumbent could do a lot worse.

Guess what . I just bought this fine looking trike. It will be my first and probably only trike. I am picking it up on wednesday (the 3rd) I am so excited.

OP
OP
mrandmrspoves

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Guess what . I just bought this fine looking trike. It will be my first and probably only trike. I am picking it up on wednesday (the 3rd) I am so excited.
Welcome to the world of bents!
I absolutely loved my RR and had it for a few years - but in the end I went for an Ice due to their quick fold mechanism. If I had had room for two recumbents I would have kept it. They are all aluminium framed and much lighter than they look.
Do let us know what you think of it when you have had a chance to test it.

I will certainly let you know how it goes. Going to keep it as it is for a while and see how I get along with it but as I am an old man with dodgy knees I feel I may motorise it at some point.

I finally had time to go for a ride on the new (to me ) trike. The gent who sold it to me was really nice. It is a lovely thing to ride . It is going to take me while to really get used to it. I took the clip on pedals off and replaced them with normal ones. I really couldn't get on the the clip ons. Having ridden E bikes for a while I forgot how poorly my knees are so it was hard works for me. I will be doing a electric conversion as soon as I work out what wheel and so on. I love the dual drive making 18 gears brilliant stuff. sadly of course as this is all in the rear wheel it will all be gone when I electrify it.
Regards John

Attachments

• Redmount 1.jpg
    Redmount 1.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 17
  • Redmount 2.jpg
    Redmount 2.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
mrandmrspoves

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I finally had time to go for a ride on the new (to me ) trike. The gent who sold it to me was really nice. It is a lovely thing to ride . It is going to take me while to really get used to it. I took the clip on pedals off and replaced them with normal ones. I really couldn't get on the the clip ons. Having ridden E bikes for a while I forgot how poorly my knees are so it was hard works for me. I will be doing a electric conversion as soon as I work out what wheel and so on. I love the dual drive making 18 gears brilliant stuff. sadly of course as this is all in the rear wheel it will all be gone when I electrify it.
Regards John

Glad that you like your RR John.
I would strongly advise you to put the clip on pedals back or use an alternative fixing system.
Tadpole trikes (2 wheels front and 1 back) have caught out many new riders over the years with a nasty thing called "leg suck" - if when you're riding without being clipped in, your foot slips off the pedal, it can fall to the ground and the heel strikes the ground followed a split second later by the front beam hitting your leg and sweeping it under your trike.
If going at any sort of speed, you can imagine what it could do to your lower leg and knee.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I also would strongly advise you to put the clip in pedals back for the reason already stated. I started with flat pedals and a near miss convinced me to get clip in ones asap.
On a trike you are not likely to have problems with falling if unable to get feet free quickly as you would on two wheels.

grldtnr

Über Member
I also would strongly advise you to put the clip in pedals back for the reason already stated. I started with flat pedals and a near miss convinced me to get clip in ones asap.
On a trike you are not likely to have problems with falling if unable to get feet free quickly as you would on two wheels.

At the very least use toestraps and cleats, or a strap diagonally across the pedal, it is an important safety thing with 'bents.
As to motoring, a centre motor in the bottom bracket, a Bafang 'unit' would work best i think, you can keep the dual drive hub, as its far easier to change down to a lower gear when coming to an unexpected stop, especially on a trike, pulling away in a high gear isn't easy,

oldwheels

Legendary Member
At the very least use toestraps and cleats, or a strap diagonally across the pedal, it is an important safety thing with 'bents.
As to motoring, a centre motor in the bottom bracket, a Bafang 'unit' would work best i think, you can keep the dual drive hub, as its far easier to change down to a lower gear when coming to an unexpected stop, especially on a trike, pulling away in a high gear isn't easy,

I am not convinced that toe straps or diagonal straps are safe enough. I have tried heel straps But did not feel safe with them either.
Since I wanted to use a trike for shopping I wanted to avoid cleats which I find difficult to walk with and just use trainers.

grldtnr

Über Member
I am not convinced that toe straps or diagonal straps are safe enough. I have tried heel straps But did not feel safe with them either.
Since I wanted to use a trike for shopping I wanted to avoid cleats which I find difficult to walk with and just use trainers.

When 8 first got my Trice many moons ago,SPD's weren't common, LOOK plates were coming on the market for racing, clips and straps were all I had, SPD's were for MTB , eventually made the cross over

Conrad_K

Well, DUH... the armrests look like a pretty good idea for long rides.

Nice looking trike, too. And the fenders actually look like they're functional instead of being mere decorations.

The L-shaped handlebars double as stand-up bars? Or just an alternative position for your hands?

OP
OP
mrandmrspoves

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Well, DUH... the armrests look like a pretty good idea for long rides.

Nice looking trike, too. And the fenders actually look like they're functional instead of being mere decorations.

The L-shaped handlebars double as stand-up bars? Or just an alternative position for your hands?

The armrests on the RR are fantastic. The L bar just gave extra hand positions, as well as alternative mounting options - they' redefinitely not robust enough to pull up on.
The front mudguards were cleverly mounted by tapping a screw into the solid front axle - makes it easy to replace them with generics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom