Red lights/queuing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gratts

Got my bike at last today :smile:
Took it out for a spin..did about 10 miles. It wasn't a great area, roads round here are terrible and it was quite busy.
Having never really cycled properly on the roads I'd like some advice on queuing/red lights though.
Say there's a que at some traffic lights, on red. What's the normal thing to do? Do I wait my place in the que inbetween other cars, or filter to the front?
If there's an ASL should I filter through and wait in this? What if there is no ASL present?

I thought I handled all the lights/roundabouts pretty well..Still got some scum of the earth woman in a 4X4 telling me to "Get off the f*cking road"! :biggrin:
I gave her a bit back :smile:

Cheers all.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would say it varies between each set of lights. Get to know the lights on your route - the timings and the order if you can. There is no point trying to get to the front of the lights if its about to change any second, in which case I prefer to hang back in a primary position (as if I was a car). If I know its a long wait for the lights to change and I can get there safely I will try to get to the front if there is an ASL. If the lights change whilst you are filtering forward then a quick signal and look back normally gets you let into the queue of traffic.

ASC1951

Guru
I'm generally fairly aggressive when cycling in traffic. I think it is safer to be positive and clearly visible, so:-
- if I'm going to the font to wait in the ASL I place myself in the centre of it and then get away briskly.
- on my way to the front I go down the outside of the traffic, not the kerb side.

One thing I am always careful about is going straight on at lights when there is a left turn. Drivers who turn left without indicating never look in their mirrors either, and even if they all gave me signed statements that they were going straight on I still wouldn't believe them, so if I am hanging back in the queue but going straight on I always place myself in the middle of my lane to make sure nothing gets past and cuts across me. Again, I keep my speed up because bimbling along in the middle invites cars to overtake you.

If you are going to bimble through lights the only safe place to be is at the back of the queue.

I can't say I'm bothered by swearing women in 4 x 4s. It's just the 'little girl big car' thing and ranting is part of their self-justification for driving them. You might as well complain that water is wet. In fact it's comforting to have someone mouthing away out of the window of an X5 at me - it reassures me that my view of the world is the right one.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Absolutely agree with ASC

Never ever EVER go past a car on it's left - however slow, or however much space. You are OVERTAKING (even if it's a stationary / parked) car.

You have to make your own decision each time as to whether it's right to go to the front of the queue ...(I usually do unless it's uphill and I will therefore be slow getting there and slow starting)

If you hang back - take up position in middle of lane, you can accelerate faster to about 10 mph than most cars, you can always pull in to left as cars ahead pull away from you, and allow cars behind to overtake.

Sadly you have to be very positive (verging on the aggressive) to be safe in traffic.

Jonathan M

Locally to me, ASL's are few & far between, and where they are there car drivers ignore them. So if there is a car sat in the ASL, so long as it is safe to do so and I can advance safely, I'll go ahead of the ASL, and the car it contains.

Familiarity with junctions is useful, on longer rides where I might be passing junctions I don't know, I'll always be more cautious simply becuase I don't know the dynamics of the junction, sequences of lights etc.

PpPete

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
No this is undertaking and is perfectly legal when cars are stationary or slow moving.

Legal yes... but very unwise IMO, because car drivers just do NOT look in left mirror before turning left, or before pulling over to answer their mobiles (yeah, it does happen!)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
User3143 said:
Filter to the front and jump the red light if you can.

Never jump red lights. You are traffic and subject to the same laws as everyone else. Search for RLJ to see the heat this subject generates.

If it's safe, overtake the motorised traffic. If you do so, be aware:
  • The lights may change before you get to the front. Are you still safe if that happens?
  • If you filter up the left be very careful. It's sometimes safe to do this with cars, rarely with vans and never with lorries and buses. If there's the possibility of someone turning left into you, better be safe than sorry.
  • If you can't escape onto the pavement because of barriers, don't filter up the left.
  • In towns, pedestrians will often cross through queues of traffic. Are you going slowly enough that you can stop if they emerge?
  • There may be traffic overtaking the other lane towards you. Are you aware of the possibility.
If in doubt, don't. I tend to overtake when I know the road well or can see very clearly, and stick in the queue (or get off and walk) if I'm uncertain.

jasper

porkypete said:
Legal yes... but very unwise IMO, because car drivers just do NOT look in left mirror before turning left, or before pulling over to answer their mobiles (yeah, it does happen!)
Bit of a sweeping statement...true some don't use their mirrors...but a lot do.

OP
OP
G

gratts

Pete - I got a second hand Claud Butler Roubaix, 2007 model..I like! xx(

Thanks for all the input..What if you're approaching a junction, red lights and there isn't an ASL, what do people do then?
Also, RL jumping, I can see why it's mixed views at junctions, but I imagine most people jump them at pelican crossings when there is nobody crossing? 'Cos I jumped plenty of them yesterday! :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
gratts said:
What if you're approaching a junction, red lights and there isn't an ASL, what do people do then?

I look to see if there is a convient space a couple of cars back from the front - a look and a signal usually lets you in when the traffic starts moving. Don't go forward unless you can see some possible safe places that you can pull in next to a car.

Careful if you go infront of the ASL that you can still see a traffic light to know when it has changed (else the first thing you'll know that its changed is when the car behind beeps:biggrin:.)

For me the reason I like to get to an ASL is that I am quicker over that first 10 m than the cars, so therefore I can usually clear the junction ahead of the cars turning left etc. Whereas if I start quite a bit back from the junction I'm then slower than the cars and holding them up (some of them very impatiently) in order to take the junction in the primary position.

srw

User3143 said:
I think you need to ride some more in rush hour traffic.

Is an hour each day at rush hour through Central London enough for you?

You are not safe at all if you overtake period. If you are overtaking on a single carriage way you are riding into the face of oncoming traffic. Always filter left at a junction

Do you know what the largest single cause of cyclist death is in London? I'll give you a clue - it's not being hit while overtaking.

srw

User3143 said:
The biggest thread in the commuting forum??

Second biggest, actually.

So why are you advocating something different in each place? Especially when it's clear that the OP here is after real helpful advice?

snorri

Legendary Member
User3143 your response to the OP is not clever and not funny.:evil:
gratts admits to inexperience and seeks advice, to follow your advice could very easily result in a serious accident. gratts may in time choose to ride illegally and in a manner which reduces journey time, but at this early stage in his/her cycling career, his/her personal safety should be top priority.

Top Bottom