recommended upgrades?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hudson1984

Veteran
Hi all,

so a few weeks ago I got back into cycling.
so far i've logged about 100 miles or so and really enjoying it (my rear end isn't!)

I got a 2nd hand 2014 Roubaix and it's an amazing bike, lovely and smooth. But I think it's getting a bit long in the tooth from a groupset perspective.

it's a 10 speed Tiagra group at the moment (rim brakes) and I was looking at upgrading, ideally going to 11 speed (just as that seems more common)

anything I should look out for? I was thinking possibly moving to 105 but I don't want (or think I need to) spend a fortune, it's lost on my level of ability, I'm just keen to replace what I have with something newer.

any thoughts? anything I should specifically look to try?

All uphill

Still rolling along
What do you want to achieve?

10 speed Tiagra is pretty good, imo.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I would ride the 10 speed until you need to replace parts as the weight saving will be negligible, i recently upgraded from 10 to 11 speed and its not any quicker or the changes noticeably any slicker .Something else to be aware of is that your wheels might not be able to accommodate 11 speed as the 11 speed cassette is slightly wider so needs a wheel with a hub that can handle it.
I dont know what version of tiagra you have but the 4700 10 speed is pretty good and GCN call it the new 105 based on price and performance .
Biggest bang for the buck upgrade would be a lighter updated wheelset .

OP
OP
H

Hudson1984

Veteran
oh I'm not really looking for weight saving from the groupset, purely think it's getting a bit old and needs replacing other than that it really suits me well. I've certainly got a good few miles to go before I really need it from a performance point of view, this is purely planned maintenance, especially as the guy I got it off suggested it had recently been serviced it feels a bit resistive at times.

I'm doing my own service tomorrow with a full deep clean of running gear so that might solve the issue but i'm in the mind of things are just needing a replacement....could be wrong though

13 rider

Guru
The age of the components dosnt matter it's how much wear they've had ,do you know the mileage the bike has covered . An important thing to check is chain wear as a worn chain will accelerate the wear of everything else . Get yourself a chain wear checker .
Unless the parts are worn you probably won't notice the difference between old and new drivechain . An extra speed 11 to 10 will give you an opportunity to get a lower gear if you need it . If the shifting is feeling difficult have a check of the cables .
Tyres and wheels and the upgrade you will feel the most

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am still riding 20+ year old 10-speed Campagnolo Chorus but I did find it overgeared on steep hills so I changed the chainset.
Have you got low enough gears for where you ride and your level of fitness? If not then sorting that out would be worth doing but you probably wouldn't need a complete change of groupset to achieve that.

The only newer thing you need is a training program. The cool gthing with tehse s that they are compatible with 5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12 and 13-speed bikes.

With a training program you can upgrade every four weeks and you can tune your upgrade via a blend of duration, intensity and frequency.

Ride bike, drink beer.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As an aside, when my last 10 speed setup bit the dust (SRAM Apex. One of the shifters disintegrated and both chainrings were dead) I changed it for an 11 speed (Shimano 105 R7000). This had one big noticeable benefit - the big sprocket increased from 32 to 34. I love my 34T sprocket. But regarding the 10 to 11 speed transition I have to say I haven't noticed any difference at all. I don't count the gears as I work through them.

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
A 2014 Tiagra group set is likely to be 4600 - it’s what I have on my Fuji. The only thing I have done is replace the 11-28T cassette with a 11-34T, and a long cage Tiagra derailleur to match. I do have a pair of newer 10-speed 105 shifters to put on it because they have concealed shifter cables vs the exposed ones of the Tiagra. But as a group set the Tiagra, whilst getting on, has been bulletproof.

Top Bottom