Recommend me a 50:50 Fridge Freezer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As per the title. My freezer went t*ts up the other day, and I've always said that when either that or the fridge in the utility room gave up the ghost, I would replace both and buy a combo fridge freezer.

My budget is in the £350 - £450 bracket, but there is a bit of wiggle room. My other main want is that the freezer section must be around 100 litres in capacity. That is non-negotiable as anything less would be too small. The other thing I need is for the appliance to operate in cold temperatures, as the utility room is part of my garage and is unheated.

I do NOT want any of the following: american-style fridge freezer, anything that is too big e.g. a freezer bigger than 110 litres or an appliance taller than 1m 85 cm, and any sort of water dispenser or ice maker.

What does the Cycle Chat hive mind suggest?

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Don't get a Logic, I've got one and its a 50/50 but the freezer is really small. The drawers are really small and I wouldn't have bought it if I knew beforehand. I had a Hotpoint before and it was better than this one.
I'd check FB Marketplace as well, I've seen some good deals and the BHF, you might just find something really suitable.

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
Our Bosch was making noises so decided on a new fridge/freezer,
Bough a Hisense from AO. com.
Delivered within a couple of days and old one taken away.
Pleased enough so far at around £350

Attachments

• IMG_4994.jpeg
    IMG_4994.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4993.jpeg
    IMG_4993.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 18

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We've got an 80/20 fridge freezer, but the bloody freezer bit is still bigger than our previous freezer and the thing is massive and 80cm deep (stand alone). It's still flaming full as is the chest freezer.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
We've a 50/50 Samsung but it's a 60cm wide one with ice maker. Not cheap and bigger than a normal fridge-freezer but not giant American double door sized. It's been faultless for seven years and excellent.

Our other appliances are by , which is Beko's premium brand, and we've been impressed with them. Their dishwasher is much better than the expensive Bosch it replaced.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
That's a shame :sad:

I suppose you could always get a big upright freezer and perch a wee fridge on top.

that's what i ended up doing, undercounter freezer with a counter top fridge on top of it, but the fridge is slightly too small. It's not ideal but better than two undercounter appliances on top of each other.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Back in the mid-90's we had a fridge-freezergo 'pop' (it was £50 second-hand a year earlier as we'd bought our first house and had no money left at the time).

SWMBO took me to Comet, walked down the row to the end and said "this one" (a Scandinova - Comet's own brand).

It was about 7 feet tall with a giant freezer. The only issue is she's tiny and could never reach above the first shelf without standing on a chair. It worked well for over 20 years.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
that's what i ended up doing, undercounter freezer with a counter top fridge on top of it, but the fridge is slightly too small. It's not ideal but better than two undercounter appliances on top of each other.

If there was 60:40 freezer to fridge split available on the market, then that would be perfect for me also, as I have a reasonable-sized countertop fridge in the kitchen anyways.

Though I don't want things to be *too* big because a) it's an open invitation to fill them up, especially when there's good YS bargains to be had, and b) I'm a shortarse, and so ideally I don't want to be standing on a stool to reach the top shelf as I currently have to do.

Likewise, I don't want things to be too small, as I live out in the boonies and only tend to shop fortnightly.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Back in the mid-90's we had a fridge-freezergo 'pop' (it was £50 second-hand a year earlier as we'd bought our first house and had no money left at the time).

SWMBO took me to Comet, walked down the row to the end and said "this one" (a Scandinova - Comet's own brand).

It was about 7 feet tall with a giant freezer. The only issue is she's tiny and could never reach above the first shelf without standing on a chair. It worked well for over 20 years.

This is the exact problem I currently have, as my freezer-on-top-of fridge stack must be somewhere around that for sure.

Aaaaah, the first world problems of undertall women... :laugh:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Please please please get one with automatic defrost.
We have two freezers. One without the function constantly gets frosted up, the other has been running fine for 8 years without ever needing a defrost.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I bought seperates but the manufacturer does do 50/50 ones also: https://www.statesmanappliances.co.uk/stockists

I had them both replaced under warranty a while back as they were very noisy, the new ones seem ok. I'd probably use them again just because they replaced them on warranty with only a little hassle.

They only seem to do one currently - which is waaaaay too small.

Shame, as the stockist is in Chatteris, which is 20 mins up the road. Noise is not an issue with me, as all my appliances are in the utility room behind the garage.

Top Bottom