Recommend good value truing stand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExBrit

Über Member
I'm thinking about buying a truing stand as I seem to be spending quite a lot of money at the local bike shop on this lately. The Parks stand is way too expensive for my truing needs but most of the non-Parks brands don't review well. Something that can be bought on Amazon for about $100 and isn't a complete pile of junk would be ideal.

Any recommendations?
Thanks

Big John

Guru
I've got the Park one so that's all I'm familiar with but there'll be loads of recommendations shortly I'm sure. How much is the Park one in the US? They cost a mint over here but they're good and easy to use. I build wheels so it gets some use but it's still as good as when I first bought it donkeys years ago.

OP
OP
ExBrit

ExBrit

Über Member
I built mine for nothing, very good value indeed.

If your wheels won't last until the rim's worn out without re-truing, I think you either need a better wheel builder or wheels that are better suited to the use.

I would agree, most of my wheels are built by master wheel builders and go 20,000 miles between truing. The main problem is that I bought an e-bike conversion for my touring bike and that wheel has been trued twice in the last year. My LBS says this is a common problem because of the hub motor. I'm very particular about keeping my wheels true so hence the question.

Homemade option has served me well
combined.jpg

Roger Musson's 'Wheelpro' e-book is great and includes plans for making your own truing stand, dishing gauge and other tools. If you need shinier stuff then a used Park stand is generally a good bet, as are the Cyclus and Unior stands. Feedback's single-sided stand is a nice lightweight option and I use one for events and corporate work. For workshop use I've the Park Tool TS-4.2 which is expensive but rock solid, easy to calibrate and can accommodate any wheel I need to work on. Just don't ever trust a double-sided stand for final centring; flip the wheel to check and/or use a gauge as even a calibrated stand can be off by enough to Ronnie Reagan your wheel.

the snail

Guru
Turn the bike up side down and use the brakes, or put a couple of zip-ties round the frame tubes and use those. If you're having problems with shop-bought wheels, stress-relieve them and re-true.

presta

Guru
Turn the bike up side down and use the brakes, or put a couple of zip-ties round the frame tubes and use those. If you're having problems with shop-bought wheels, stress-relieve them and re-true.

Fine for running repairs in an emergency, but not much fun to use for hours.

Top Bottom