Rebuild Guidance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zrudeboy

~1964 Bianchi Gran Sport needs a new stem and handlebars from the monstrosity put on it. the 3TTT GrandPrix stems seem period correct but handlebars would be the plain stamped GranPrix which seem impossible to find. Ambrosia handlebars seems like potentially easier.

To keep in period would a BG MAES bar from the 60s be sacrilege. Time periods wise it is closer than the 1970s 3TTT out there complete with Olympic designs.
I have a new wheel set I'm putting together that is time correct (or close) with tubular tires, Campy record hubs and Everest FW though the rims are Mavic Gold labels and that is into 70s territory.
How do you all call it as "good enough" or do I just go good enough until I can find the white whale parts?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Go with whatever you like. The 'period correct' police can go and take a runner.

Go with what you want, every bike I’ve ever had has had parts stopped as it got older, for a variety of reasons, rims wear out ‘bars and stem fatigue and start creaking, some things are just plain improved. if you had owned it from new and ridden it enough it wouldn’t quite be in “grandfather’s axe” territory but getting there. If I was going to replace a set of say 3t Gimondi bars back in the 80s I would have just gone down to Ribble or wherever and bought a pair, sod what the stamping or engraving said.

~1964 Bianchi Gran Sport needs a new stem and handlebars from the monstrosity put on it. the 3TTT GrandPrix stems seem period correct but handlebars would be the plain stamped GranPrix which seem impossible to find. Ambrosia handlebars seems like potentially easier.

To keep in period would a BG MAES bar from the 60s be sacrilege. Time periods wise it is closer than the 1970s 3TTT out there complete with Olympic designs.
I have a new wheel set I'm putting together that is time correct (or close) with tubular tires, Campy record hubs and Everest FW though the rims are Mavic Gold labels and that is into 70s territory.
How do you all call it as "good enough" or do I just go good enough until I can find the white whale parts?

I think the question is: do you want an exactly correct period bike? If so, excellent: please take pictures so we can all enjoy the build.

If not, make 'compromises' as you see fit between the strict period and what you'd like, and please take pictures so we can all enjoy the build.

Anyone who objects to how you do it, can go and buy their own bike and rebuild it as they see fit.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I would go with good looking modern parts that suit the bike to make it look correct, but comfortable for you to ride.
The fabric of the bike is original and that for me is the important thing.

Top Bottom