Re-cabling gears - in line adjuster question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

This weeking im planning on re-cabling my bike for the first time as the gears are getting a bit sticky. I've got a 105 groupset. It seems all pretty straightforward except for the inline adjusters that i have on the cables. I'm not sure how these work in terms of cable routing. They look like this...

14883789139_8a72cc13da.jpg

Would i need any special fixings in order to keep these? To be honest, i've never actually used them so could probably do without if its a tricky job to keep them. Internally i dont know how they work. Do they just have something on which the cable wraps around or is the cable effectively joined by these bits?

compo

Veteran
I have never used them but I should imagine that the inner cable simply runs through the adjuster while the outer housing is split and mounts each end of the adjuster. As you screw in or out on the adjuster you simply increase or decrease the length of the outer thus adjusting the inner. It works the same as the adjusters on the levers that you screw in or out.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Hi

This weeking im planning on re-cabling my bike for the first time as the gears are getting a bit sticky. I've got a 105 groupset. It seems all pretty straightforward except for the inline adjusters that i have on the cables. I'm not sure how these work in terms of cable routing. They look like this...

Would i need any special fixings in order to keep these? To be honest, i've never actually used them so could probably do without if its a tricky job to keep them. Internally i dont know how they work. Do they just have something on which the cable wraps around or is the cable effectively joined by these bits?
The outer is split on either side of them, so rather than one piece between the shifter and cable stop, you'll have two. Looking at the set you have, you'll need to recover the ferrules from the ends of the current cables, or buy new ones to fit into the adjusters.

Personally, I'd hang on to them - being able to adjust for cable stretch, or make small changes to cable tension during setup is very useful. (Rear derailleurs tend to have a barrel adjuster on the mech - I've never seen a front derailleur with one).

On my Long Haul Trucker, there are adjusters at the cable stop on the frame - on the SCR2, the adjusters are at the shifter. If you don't have them anywhere else on the bike, you'll need these ones (imo).

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Look carefully at the adjusters before installing them to ensure they are identical. Helped sort out a friend's Giant SCR roadbike recently where I suspect that while the front mech side was a proper adjuster the rear was a dummy to achieve a cosmetic symmetry. Got them wrong way round and couldn't trim out a rub at front.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mark1978

Mark1978

Veteran
One other question, im replacing the outers on the brake cables too (not doing the inners). Is there any general maintenance i can do to the inners prior to putting them in the new outers? Im thinking maybe a liberal spray of gt85 after a good clean up?

One other question, im replacing the outers on the brake cables too (not doing the inners). Is there any general maintenance i can do to the inners prior to putting them in the new outers? Im thinking maybe a liberal spray of gt85 after a good clean up?
Fit them dry.

But if I was replacing the outers I wouldn't faff about using the old inners, for the sake of a few quid you'd be better doing the lot.

ayceejay

Guru
The advantage of inline adjusters is that you can do the adjustment while riding so screw them all the way in before fitting. If the inner is Teflon coated there is no need for any lubrication but galvanized would benefit from a THIN layer of grease.

gwhite

Über Member
I've found when using these it's best not to attempt to adjust the FD when there is tension on the cable. To do so will cause damage to the outer at the point where it bears against the adjuster and will affect shifting in time.

Top Bottom