R.I.P. John Mayall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Photo Winner
Very sad. True British blues legend.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I only managed to see him once, at the Royal Albert Hall, many moons ago.. Brilliant performance!
RIP

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A giant of a man musically and of course a legend. The epitome of the British blues movement.
It's impossible to sum up all he did for music. I shall greatly mourn his passing.

This video documents the making of the 'Beano' album which was the defining moment for Mayall and really launched his career after Clapton joined the band:

View: https://youtu.be/p8khIM4eG9w?si=z2Yy_CXJMyNP_H1V

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Here is his Facebook page today;

It is with heavy hearts that we bear the news that John Mayall passed away peacefully in his California home yesterday, July 22, 2024, surrounded by loving family. Health issues that forced John to end his epic touring career have finally led to peace for one of this world’s greatest road warriors. John Mayall gave us ninety years of tireless efforts to educate, inspire and entertain.

In a 2014 interview with The Guardian, John reflected, “[blues] is about – and it’s always been about – that raw honesty with which [it expresses] our experiences in life, something which all comes together in this music, in the words as well. Something that is connected to us, common to our experiences.” That raw honesty, connection, community and playing of his will continue to affect the music and culture we experience today, and for generations to come.

An appointed OBE (Officer of the British Empire), 2x Grammy-nominated artist and recent inductee to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, John is survived by his 6 children, Gaz, Jason, Red, Ben, Zak and Samson, 7 grandchildren and 4 great-grandchildren. He is also surrounded with love by his previous wives, Pamela and Maggie, his devoted secretary, Jane, and his close friends. We, the Mayall family, cannot thank his fans and long-list of bandmembers enough for the support and love we were blessed to experience secondhand over the last six decades.

John closed that same Guardian interview by reflecting further on the blues, “To be honest, I don’t think anyone really knows exactly what it is. I just can’t stop playing it.” Keep on playing the blues somewhere, John. We love you.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Mod note:

Two separate threads merged.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Saw him in a 'double header' with The Splinter Group, not that impressed so we went for a drink after a couple of numbers and found out Peter and the rest of the band were selling the latest CD in the foyer with photo's of each member which they duly signed, then Maz said can I get a photo and saying yes she was round the table in a flash. I'd got my little Olympus Mju on me so a snap was duly taken with Maz in between Greeny and Nigel Watson, I found out later that this is pretty rare as Peter didn't like having his picture taken but maybe it was just as it was a small camera and not some big intimidating rig he was OK with it
Like I say not a big fan but realise what a massive influence he was on the British Blues scene.

DRM

Guru
That's a good innings really, and John was a huge inspiration to a lot of musicians, he leaves a huge legacy behind, All Your Love was one of the first songs I learnt on guitar, getting that Dm chord was a nightmare as a beginner, as was the rhythm change towards the end

Top Bottom