QR Frame and Solid Axle Wheels Compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I have available to me to purchase a 00s Giant frame from a bike that had 26" QR wheels.

In my spares collection I have some Solid Axle Nutted wheels that came off a 90s Raleigh.

My findings on Google are mostly to do with doing the opposite or modifying Hubs from Nutted to QR.

Has anybody got any experience or knowledge on whether the wheels are usable with the frame? See pictures below. Thanks.

Screenshot_20240904-113650~2.png

Screenshot_20240904-113644~2.png

Punkawallah

Über Member
Assuming the axle thickness is the same, and the solid axle is long enough to fasten the nuts up, there should be no reason why they would not be OK in the drop outs.
Whether the hub width and gear block would fit is a different matter.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've done this a couple of times in the other direction - new wheels into old frames. Each time I needed to open the 9mm drop out to take the 10mm QR axle, so, going the other direction I suspect you may have a bit of free play. 9mm solid axle into 10mm drop out.

Shouldn't be to difficult to make or find a shim to prevent exciting rear wheel steering!

OP
OP
sleuthey

sleuthey

Legendary Member
@Punkawallah
@Jameshow
@Ming the Merciless
@All uphill

Update. I collected the frame last night.
The wheels have gone in nicely. The front one did have a bit of jiggle in the drop out but when tightened the washers and the pointy bent bits on the Fork Ends secured it rigid. The back one just dropped in as if the frame was designed for that sort of wheel.

This afternoons challenge is setting up SS with vertical drop outs and no tensioner 🤔

IMG_20240906_121131_MP.jpg

IMG_20240906_121059_MP.jpg

Punkawallah

Über Member
@Punkawallah
@Jameshow
@Ming the Merciless
@All uphill

Update. I collected the frame last night.
The wheels have gone in nicely. The front one did have a bit of jiggle in the drop out but when tightened the washers and the pointy bent bits on the Fork Ends secured it rigid. The back one just dropped in as if the frame was designed for that sort of wheel.

This afternoons challenge is setting up SS with vertical drop outs and no tensioner 🤔

View attachment 744149

View attachment 744150

Good to hear! Hope to have more good news before long.

Top Bottom