Proposed CYCLOPS Junction...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mazz

Hi,

A CYCLOPS (Cycle Optimised Protected Signals) junction is being proposed close to where I live. I must admit, I've never seen one of these junctions or even heard of them. The proposed junction is currently in the council's consultation period (after which they will completely ignore the consultation and go ahead with it anyway #sarcasm).

Does anyone here have first-hand experience of regularly using these junctions, e.g. during commuting? (There's at least one in Manchester and Cambridge). What's your opinion of them? E.g. is turning right easier?

A couple of YouTube links for info. Thanks.

View: https://youtu.be/nwdCt0CbVFw?feature=shared

View: https://youtu.be/7FBncwFDVHk?feat

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
does a cyclops junction still need an ASL/Z?

Seems a bit pointless having both, but i guess the ASL/Z is mandatory for all signalled junctions these days?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
does a cyclops junction still need an ASL/Z?

Seems a bit pointless having both, but i guess the ASL/Z is mandatory for all signalled junctions these days?
No and still surprisingly still not mandatory, but some will never use a bike lane so they're still useful and it avoids hardcore vehicularists opposing the design.

I like them. I've used the Cambridge one on Histon Road and I think more are coming soon, including at a Milton Road junction I use more. I like them. They're a step up from both the London CS route ones and the old "toucans all around" junctions.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I quite like the look of them. I can think of a couple of big junctions where I currently make a right by getting off and using the ped crossings because I don't like hanging around exposed in the middle trying to turn right.

Of course, that's just from watching a couple of enthusiastic videos. I practice things may be less cool.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Having come upto one on NYD in Manchester (it's near work), the three of us riding just used the road. They are OK if you aren't at all confident, and don't want to make progress. They are confusing to all road users. There is also a complicated junction near where I work, but the designers have made the bike lane and pedestrian land switch sides a few times - fortunately it's not heavily used by either pedestrians or bikes.

There is also a 'cycling roundabout' in Salford which is a joke.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...sion-after-roundabout-cyclists-opens-25712973

Just what is wrong with a pedestrian/cycle crossing, rather than anything overly complicated.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
It's this one, on the A6 in Oadby, so actually Leicestershire county council, rather than Leicester city council.

https://www.leicestershire.gov.uk/r...ects/the-parade-oadby-cyclops-junction-scheme

Strange place to put one, as coming up Leicester Road from the left there is a service road on the Parade side of the road, and if coming from the right I use the back road into Oadby. If I recall correctly Regent Street is a dead end and Stoughton Road is one way (going away from the main road) so I can't see a lot of cycle traffic using this.

As for pedestrians the junction is currently serviced by pelican crossings which are more than adequate.

They would have been better doing this at the roundabout next to the racecourse (for non locals that is less than half a mile to the left of the graphic) as that is much worse to navigate as a cyclist and a pedestrian, but that would have impeded the motorist, so that will never happen.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Strange place to put one, as coming up Leicester Road from the left there is a service road on the Parade side of the road, and if coming from the right I use the back road into Oadby. If I recall correctly Regent Street is a dead end and Stoughton Road is one way (going away from the main road) so I can't see a lot of cycle traffic using this.

As for pedestrians the junction is currently serviced by pelican crossings which are more than adequate.

They would have been better doing this at the roundabout next to the racecourse (for non locals that is less than half a mile to the left of the graphic) as that is much worse to navigate as a cyclist and a pedestrian, but that would have impeded the motorist, so that will never happen.

You raise some very good points.
The racecourse roundabout would be a better candidate. Or even the junction to the right of the graphic - A6/New St junction in the picture below. Good luck to the old boy in the wheelchair - there's no pedestrian crossing to get over the road there, and there's left-turning traffic. It's a terrible junction.

Screenshot_20240726_155431_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru

That's was my thoughts seems an awful lot of effort and probably money for a junction that isn't that bad and with all the nearby lights traffic speeds shouldn't be an issue , Surely there's more problem Junctions that are more used by cyclist that need addressing first . Does this scheme sort of link up with all the London road routes ?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
That's was my thoughts seems an awful lot of effort and probably money for a junction that isn't that bad and with all the nearby lights traffic speeds shouldn't be an issue , Surely there's more problem Junctions that are more used by cyclist that need addressing first . Does this scheme sort of link up with all the London road routes ?

You need to get over the racecourse roundabout to connect with London Road. If I'm biking from Oadby into the city I'd be using the roads running parallel with London Road. London Road road surface is horrible and to many side roads were cars encroach onto the cycle lane trying to get onto London Road.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
You raise some very good points.
The racecourse roundabout would be a better candidate. Or even the junction to the right of the graphic - A6/New St junction in the picture below. Good luck to the old boy in the wheelchair - there's no pedestrian crossing to get over the road there, and there's left-turning traffic. It's a terrible junction.

View attachment 738824

That junction is much worse for pedestrians, cycling wise I've ridden it many times with no issues

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

That junction is much worse for pedestrians, cycling wise I've ridden it many times with no issues

Occasionally I've been on my bike at that junction, waiting on a red light to go straight on while the left filter is on green. Cars have beeped me while they've been turning left, not realising I'm waiting to go straight 😒.

Top Bottom