Problem with cracking sound in frame/ crankset during ridding uphill (road bike).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nowakowskiii

Hello,
I have got problem in my road bike from 2018 "Kross Vento 3.0". There is cracking sound while ridding uphill. In flat road there is no problem, but during climbing when there is bigger climb so you have to use more foot power- there is that sound. Bike was in service twice, year to year and man who checked it, cleaned everything around crankset and said there is nothing that can make this sound and he has no possibility to check occurence of this sound during climbing. Bike has 10k km till now, frame is aluminium, carbon fiber fork. Below I put video with that sound while I am ridding uphill.

Video:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Welcome to the forum.
My first thought is some play at the BB.
Is there any play if you hold both cranks and move them laterally ? It could be that under power the crankset is moving slightly and the chain is rubbing on the front derailuer.
My second thought is that the creaks could be coming from the seat post. Remove seat post, throughly clean the post and the inside of the seat tube, apply a little grease to the post and then insert and tighten.
Creaks are often very hard to pin down, it is often a matter of trial and error.
Other members will have other ideas.
Good luck.

I’ve had a creak/crack like that where the inverse was true. The botttom bracket was over torqued and needed releasing ever so slightly back to in tolerance torque.

Jameshow

Veteran
Are your bearing worn do they spin freely and for quite sometime if the chain is off. If not then the bearings are worn.
Or it could be the ht2 BB isn't secured to the crank properly?

Chislenko

Veteran
Sounds like the chain catching against the front mech, though as Paulus says those noises can be a bugger to trace.

That sounds plausible to me, don't know the bike so don't know what drive train it runs but does it have "trim function" on the gears. May just need a "trim" when running in certain combinations of front / back.

Mine does it in the small front ring if I get to the third smallest on the back but a quick trim sorts it out.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Cracking sounds when ridden uphill are often spoke eyelets, particularly front ones. What sort of rim is it?

If you oil each eyelet (wipe off the excess, especially if you have rim brakes) the noise goes away for months. It's caused by slight corrosion between the steel eyelet and aluminium rim, and is not dangerous.

gbb

Squire
Quick check, upturn your bike and closely inspect the welds around the BB at its interface with the seat tube and chain stays.

I had an alloy Bianchi that exhibited similar cracking sounds....found a rather terminal crack around the BB welds

Top Bottom