Problem with Aheadset or QR skewers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Squire
Hoping someone can help me diagnose this problem....

When I got my bike down from the hanger and put it on the ground, I heard a delay/ distinct dull clunk at the front end like the QR skewers were loose or the wheel wasn't seated properly. The QR skewers were fastened very tight; however I undid them and re-tightened them and the 'delay" is still there.

I'm due to go on a short ride and am not keen to come off, especially since I am due at the hospital this afternoon for rehab for a broken finger (yep, it's been that kind of year)!

How does a borked Aheadset manifest itself?

Thanks for any input.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Put the brakes on and wrench / wiggle the handlebars around a bit with the front wheel between your knees (don't attempt this whilst riding ^_^). is there any play either lateral or vertical?

Also check the stem and spacers is theee anything loose there, has like the stem slipped up and created a gap or something.

OP
OP
alicat

alicat

Squire
Thanks @T4tomo - no play at the handlebars or in the stem/spacers but there could be some play in the wheel. I'll put another wheel in later and report back.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Thanks @T4tomo - no play at the handlebars or in the stem/spacers but there could be some play in the wheel. I'll put another wheel in later and report back.

Ok so if you were sure you'd seated the wheel in the drop outs properly, which you've double checked, its sounding like maybe a issue with wheel hub / bearings.

OP
OP
alicat

alicat

Squire
^^^ I think you could be right @T4tomo. I'll inspect it tomorrow when I've got more time. I think I've got a spare used hub for the same wheel so I'm assuming it's okay to reuse bearings if they are in a cartridge. If not, is there a go-to place to buy bearings?

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom