Pog withdrawn from Olympic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
'Extreme gear useage'

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Who knows, maybe he want to participate to Vuelta next.

Don't be silly, he's just resting and recouping ahead of the WC's, defo not doing La Vuelta.

Wiggo did both RR and ITT (which he won) after his TDeF victory, but it was a home Olympics, he hadn't done the Giro ahead the TdeF, and he was focussed on the ITT. The attempt to set up Cav for the RR win didn't materialise as the Germans etc al didn't want to help brink back the break as they thought Cav would beat them, even though they weren't going to win if the break stayed away.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As @Cathryn pointed out in the other thread, the fact that the Slovenian Olympic team have failed to select Urška Žigart - the current Slovenian womens road champion and Slovenian womens TT champion for the past three years - may have swayed his thinking. (She also happens to be his girlfriend)

Quite what's going on in Slovenian cycling politics I don't know, but not selecting your standout rider is a bit odd.

Primoz Roglic isn't going either, but I think Mohoric and Tratnik are. (Sorry, forgot to add Luka Mezgec too)

Last edited:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I think he's not doing the Olympics because he's not sure enough of winning, and feels that making the attempt would reduce his chances at his main post-Tour goal (the Zurich Worlds) .
Being able to ride everyone (Jonas, Remco) off your wheel on a big mountain (20 km @ 8%) doesn't necessarily mean that you can also ride everyone (Mathieu, Wout, Mads) off your wheel on a modest Paris hill (1 km @ 5%), even if repeated lots of times.

My guess is that the original plan was to take a week or two R&R after the Tour, and then spend 5 or 6 weeks training to realign his form back into Classics mode, with more punch and more absolute max power, and maybe a bit of extra muscle. The Olympics would take a couple of weeks off that retraining time, and the Vuelta would eliminate it entirely.

It may be that had Urška been going to the Olympics, he'd have gone too. They have a history of turning up to offer support at each others races when the calendar allows, and if he's there he may as well ride.

The next Olympics are likely to give a more suitable route anyway - there are reasonable hills (Santa Monica mountains) fairly close to what passes for central LA

Top Bottom