Pls Help. Pedals to Cranks Compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rufus Chh

Regular
Hi guys
I have the Shimano Ultegra R8100 crankset. I am not sure if the Shimano Ultegra PD-R8000 pedals I intend to buy fit the cranks. Please help.
Thanks.

Gunk

Guru
They’ll fit

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi guys
I have the Shimano Ultegra R8100 crankset. I am not sure if the Shimano Ultegra PD-R8000 pedals I intend to buy fit the cranks. Please help.
Thanks.

There are 2 sizes of pedal thread, 9/16ths and 1/2 inch (apart from weird French stuff in the 40-50's) 1/2 inch is generally BMX while everthing else is 9/16th

Sharky

Guru
Is this the first time going clipless?

Shimano pedals seem a bit pricey, worth considering other shimano compatible pedals or even looking (unintentional pun) at Keo pedals.
You can get reasonable pedal+cleat sets from £40 upwards.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Easy way of remembering is that both sides screw in towards the front wheel and unscrew towards the rear wheel. Put some grease or copper slip on the threads and don't overtighten.

I just remember that the right one is right and the left one isn't right. (Makes sense to me)

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
There are 2 sizes of pedal thread, 9/16ths and 1/2 inch (apart from weird French stuff in the 40-50's) 1/2 inch is generally BMX while everthing else is 9/16th

As an aside: 1/2” pedal thread size is for 1-piece cranks (As far as BMX go’s). So generally 80’s stuff. Or cheap ‘Catalogue / Department Store bikes…..

Anything remotely modern; with a 3-piece crank takes 9/16th thread 👍

Gunk

Guru
Is this the first time going clipless?

Shimano pedals seem a bit pricey, worth considering other shimano compatible pedals or even looking (unintentional pun) at Keo pedals.
You can get reasonable pedal+cleat sets from £40 upwards.

I’ve used Look Keo for years

Top Bottom