Peugeot road bike in for renovation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rhythm Thief

Legendary Member
This gorgeous old Peugeot has come to me for renovation. I think I'm in love! I just need to get rid of that horrible modern Sora front mech. I love the Mafac Racer brakes and the Milk Race pump.

IMG20240824111948.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20240824111956.jpg
    IMG20240824111956.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG20240824112011.jpg
    IMG20240824112011.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG20240824112006.jpg
    IMG20240824112006.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG20240824112030.jpg
    IMG20240824112030.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG20240824112019.jpg
    IMG20240824112019.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 21
Good evening,

I had a revelation a while back, I sold m' house, m' car and became a ....... and had to admit that brakes levers have gotten better over time.

https://www.tektro.com/en/product/95
1724527449283.png

These are levers that have learnt from the shape of STI but are not STI, your Mafac levers are surprisingly close though :-) and as Ribble often have clearances you can have modern STI levers and just don't connect the gear cable.

The front fork seems to have a lot more clearance for mudguards than the rear, so maybe it is a replacement?

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
I had a Peugeot in the 1970s - and so o until some scrote nicked it from my garage many years later

I loved it - serial number was 3616562- I think - it was a long time ago

I think it was about 1973 vintage - possible a U08 or something like that
had aluminium mudgards that came in for a lot of criticism - but I never saw the thrill of getting mud up my back so they stayed

it was purple - if that matters - but it did to me at the time

any idea what the one above is model wise??

OP
OP
Rhythm Thief

Rhythm Thief

Legendary Member
The front fork seems to have a lot more clearance for mudguards than the rear, so maybe it is a replacement?

Indeed it is, well spotted! The owner had the fork replaced a few years back after some sort of accident befell the original. He asked if I had a 531 fork knocking about and I've found one from a 1980s Peugeot online for £17. If he wants it chromed, that will cost significantly more!

si_c

Guru
I had a Peugeot in the 1970s - and so o until some scrote nicked it from my garage many years later

I loved it - serial number was 3616562- I think - it was a long time ago

I think it was about 1973 vintage - possible a U08 or something like that
had aluminium mudgards that came in for a lot of criticism - but I never saw the thrill of getting mud up my back so they stayed

it was purple - if that matters - but it did to me at the time

any idea what the one above is model wise??

I had a purple Peugeot for a while but it was a bit too small for me and I ended up passing it on to a friend to use as a fixed gear.

IMAG0178.jpg

I had a purple Peugeot for a while but it was a bit too small for me and I ended up passing it on to a friend to use as a fixed gear.

View attachment 742624

That looks very like mine
except for the mudguards and rear rack

reminds me of a little story about it

I got it in about 1973 - so when I was 13
when I was in my 20s - so about 10 years later, or probably longer - the bungy cord on the rear rack broke, the hooked clip caught in the spokes and bent beyond fixing

I used it a lot at the time to go to the train station so I wanted a replacement

I decided to try the shop it came from many years before as I still went there sometimes lookig at/for 'N' guage railway stuff (multi talented shop!!!)

anyway - I walked in with a photo of the bike and the same owner was still there
I explained the problem to him and showed him a pictire of the bike

he looked at me and told me to wait a minute - and went into the back

2 minutes later he came out holding a brand new bungy plus clip complete with fittings - still in its plastic bag
witha look of triumph saying "bet you didn; think I would have one of these!!"

to be fair I didn;t
very specific part which I have not seen on another model of Peigeot - nd certainly not on another make
and a make not often seen in normal town bike shops - around there anyway
AND not stocked by him for many years

and he still had some - and could put his hands on one in a couple of minutes

Very impressive!!!

anyway - back to the topic!!

si_c

Guru
That looks very like mine
except for the mudguards and rear rack
Yeah it did originally come with mudguards and a rack - the mudguards had an odd mounting where the rear brake was mounted vertically through both the frame and the mudguards. Sadly I only got it as a frameset and the mudguards were pretty mangled so I removed them, I was able to get them mostly OK again, but didn't fit them back on.

The new owner has them, and hasn't used them either.
and he still had some - and could put his hands on one in a couple of minutes

Very impressive!!!
And a good reason to patronise local shops.

Looks like possibly the original saddle as well - best one I have ever had

but then I had it from a young teenager so it aged with me and was "me" shaped

that was the worst part about the bike being nicked
if they had left the saddle behind I would have been less annoyed!

Top Bottom