Outer Cable Guides – does anyone bother with these?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cool_hand

Über Member
I have an old Genesis Aether road bike that I use primarily for shopping/post-office runs. The levers are Shimano Sora ST-2300. Unfortunately the left-hand lever took a knock and cracked last week so I'm having to replace. The schematic for the lever and the bars are fitted with an Outer Cable Guide (Y-86B-90010) - a triangular plastic snake like housing that sits under the bar tape and holds the brake cables in place. I've never seen these used elsewhere and I can say the triangular shape is that comfortable under my fingers. I can still use what's there but I looked for this as a replacement part and it's pretty much thin on the ground so is clearly not popular. Should I just remove the cable guides all-together and be done with them? Just tape the cables in position and then cover with bar tape? Or is there a specific reason why the ST-2300 levers use the guide?

Screenshot 2024-09-02 at 10.12.51.png

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have an old Genesis Aether road bike that I use primarily for shopping/post-office runs. The levers are Shimano Sora ST-2300. Unfortunately the left-hand lever took a knock and cracked last week so I'm having to replace. The schematic for the lever and the bars are fitted with an Outer Cable Guide (Y-86B-90010) - a triangular plastic snake like housing that sits under the bar tape and holds the brake cables in place. I've never seen these used elsewhere and I can say the triangular shape is that comfortable under my fingers. I can still use what's there but I looked for this as a replacement part and it's pretty much thin on the ground so is clearly not popular. Should I just remove the cable guides all-together and be done with them? Just tape the cables in position and then cover with bar tape? Or is there a specific reason why the ST-2300 levers use the guide?

View attachment 743718

Never used them on any bike I have had , various Shimano including 2300, sram,campag and microshift all worked fine by using electrical tape to hold cables in place under the bar tape

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
It's not to hold the cable in place, it's to create a tunnel that you can thread a new cable through without having to remove the bar tape.
I'm not sure this is if I'd agree with this. The brake cable is pretty much held down under the cable guide. It's worth noting that on the ST-2300 levers the gear cable comes out of the side of the lever and only the brake cable sits under the cable housing. Could that be the reason Shimano came up with this device. It would appear once you have both cables running along the bars it became obsolete.

presta

Guru
I'm not sure this is if I'd agree with this. The brake cable is pretty much held down under the cable guide. It's worth noting that on the ST-2300 levers the gear cable comes out of the side of the lever and only the brake cable sits under the cable housing. Could that be the reason Shimano came up with this device. It would appear once you have both cables running along the bars it became obsolete.

I have them on the gear cables but not the brakes, it's an easy job to pull the cable out and thread a new one in. No removing tape.

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
I have them on the gear cables but not the brakes, it's an easy job to pull the cable out and thread a new one in. No removing tape.
That's strange as mine are over the brake cables and not the gears. On the ST-2300 levers the gear cables project 90 degrees inwards out of the side of the lever. On my other bikes the cables sit parallel on the bars. Are you saying you use the cable guide only over the gear cables. - trying to make sense of how you've set it up?

IMG_0360.jpg

presta

Guru
Are you saying you use the cable guide only over the gear cables. - trying to make sense of how you've set it up?
Mine are bar end shifters.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've used em on a couple of bikes, makes it more comfortable to hold the handlebars but then I don't ride 'on the hoods' much preferring to hold onto the handlebar than something held onto them with a tiny screw

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
Mine are bar end shifters.
I stand corrected - I was able to push/pull the brake cable through the Cable Guide.

On a different note I purchased some replacement Lever Bracket Covers for the ST-2300. The were purchased from AliExpress and were described as replacements for ST-2300 / ST-3400. I received them and they are a match in size and shape and branded Shimano but they have a small hole on the inside. I thought this hole was for the gear cable on the ST-3400 but when I googled ST-3400 images show the Covers being exactly the same as the ST-2300 and the gear cable coming out the side at the same position. Does anyone know what the hole is for? I'm baffled.

IMG_0361.jpg

Top shows the original cover which is a little larger than the replacement as it's stretched. Bottom shows the replacement cover with the hole!

Top Bottom