Ortlieb pannier clip fix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Last summer, one of the clips on my ortlieb pannier broke…the hook at the bottom that hooks onto the rack! It’s taken me 10 months but today I emailed them photos and asked what spare part I needed to buy to fix it!

They emailed back promptly and apparently my panniers are a very old model (15 years so not really) and they no longer make the clip. I’ve emailed back and asked what they recommend but I suspect you geniuses here may be able to help!

I’m attaching a pic of the bottom of my pannier WITH the clip and a second pic of the pannier missing the clip!

Thanks for any advice! I’m having to bungee it onto the rack and that is a pain in the backside and it looks sloppy!

IMG_7758.jpeg

IMG_7759.jpeg

Slick

Guru
Last summer, one of the clips on my ortlieb pannier broke…the hook at the bottom that hooks onto the rack! It’s taken me 10 months but today I emailed them photos and asked what spare part I needed to buy to fix it!

They emailed back promptly and apparently my panniers are a very old model (15 years so not really) and they no longer make the clip. I’ve emailed back and asked what they recommend but I suspect you geniuses here may be able to help!

I’m attaching a pic of the bottom of my pannier WITH the clip and a second pic of the pannier missing the clip!

Thanks for any advice! I’m having to bungee it onto the rack and that is a pain in the backside and it looks sloppy!

View attachment 736093

View attachment 736094

Looks pretty much like any clip on any model I've seen. Maybe not though when they are saying they are old, but they don't look like it to me.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I have a set of current-spec back-rollers with similar-looking (but different) hooks - happy to measure / photograph them if this helps determine if the newer type will fit your bag.

On the one hand I'd expect Ortlieb to suggest this if they did fit, on the other I guess it's potentially another sale if you don't repair your old ones and replace them instead..

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I have a set of current-spec back-rollers with similar-looking (but different) hooks - happy to measure / photograph them if this helps determine if the newer type will fit your bag.

On the one hand I'd expect Ortlieb to suggest this if they did fit, on the other I guess it's potentially another sale if you don't repair your old ones and replace them instead..

I was surprised they weren't more proactive - I expected them to be a proper old-fashioned German brand who enabled things to be mended. If you could take a photo of the back of your clip, I'd be super grateful.

Emanresu

I was surprised they weren't more proactive - I expected them to be a proper old-fashioned German brand who enabled things to be mended.

AFAIK there is a new EU rule that says spare parts have to be held for 10 years. That sort of puts a limit on what manufacturers need to hold as spares.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The 'bumf' says they will fit. I think the difference is the dial rather than a hex key to adjust (which is a big plus) - they will just screw into the sliding bolt on the rail. I've got the earlier panniers too (Original Front Rollers) and was looking to get second clips when bike packing as I currently have to bungie the racks on as they pop off the bottom on rough tracks.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I was surprised they weren't more proactive - I expected them to be a proper old-fashioned German brand who enabled things to be mended. If you could take a photo of the back of your clip, I'd be super grateful.

Yes; I thought they had a rep for good sustainability-focussed customer service..

Will have a poke at mine when I get a moment; might be a day or two mind!

Top Bottom