On a recent trundle through Dumfries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jotheboat

A good Scottish name on a plaque in Dumfries for the guy who invented the velocipede.
Bike inventor.jpg
Here.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's slightly vague. Like Edmund Hillary, he's "generally credited" rather than known beyond reasonable doubt to be the first.

Great find, and all credit to Dumfries and Galloway.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
He did indeed. He rode it to the Clover and Leprechaun, from whose back room you can buy an Irish truck drivers licence for a mere 50 Euros.

Nah it was much earlier than the TV work when he moved to Ireland* and raced there (and the IOM TT/Southern 100) and as anyone knows most business in Eire is conducted in the back room of pubs.

* he had a row with the ACU and found out that if he moved to Ireland he could apply for an Irish Road Race license and as he had no interest in racing 'Superbikes' on short circuits in the UK (being a Road Racer) that was all he needed.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
The Dumfries museum has both an old velocipede and a replica one. Good museum and well worth a visit. Excellent camera obscura on a fine day.

OP
OP
Jotheboat

Jotheboat

Just for interest, the plaque was on a rock overlooking the River Nith in Dumfries.
My ride that day was from Powfoot, along the Nith estuary to Dumfries and return via a parallel inland route looking down on Dumfries and the river.
About 40 miles. it wasn't 'severe' enough for some of you perhaps, but just enough for me.
One of those days I love cycling.

Just for interest, the plaque was on a rock overlooking the River Nith in Dumfries.
My ride that day was from Powfoot, along the Nith estuary to Dumfries and return via a parallel inland route looking down on Dumfries and the river.
About 40 miles. it wasn't 'severe' enough for some of you perhaps, but just enough for me.
One of those days I love cycling.

Good choice ! I love it down there, apart from the rain !

Top Bottom