Old English Bicycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Creakycrank

Hello all,
Just a quick hello from somebody that likes to service, fix up or restore bicycles that fall into what I call "Old English Bicycles" or, fixed & three speed transport made in England from the 1890's up until the 1970's when the British bicycle industry started to decline, from companies like Hercules, BSA, Rudge, Raleigh, Elswick, Humber and Sunbeam that produced millions upon millions of bicycles, many of them exported to our former "Empire" to be worked hard as primary transportation for the masses.
I also like finding out the history of the machines that I fix and writing a blog about them while I do it, recently starting a blog here: www.oldenglishbicycle.wordpress.com
My latest resto is a 1936 Sunbeam, the last full production year of the true Wolverhampton Sunbeamland factory before been sold. 1936 was also the Year of the Berlin Olympics and the Zeppelin Hindenburg and the Supermarine Spitfire made their maiden flights within a day of each other. Cracking stuff.
I will probably be found in the vintage bicycle section mainly, although I am not adverse to ogling a nice handbuilt racing machine from the likes of Jack Taylor or Hetchins!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome. Don't worry plenty of fellow aficionados on here. I'm sure you'll get to know who they are in time. I sort of start where you leave off because of what is available to me down here, although I have seen few bikes from that era although they have been a bit ropey!

Hello all,
Just a quick hello from somebody that likes to service, fix up or restore bicycles that fall into what I call "Old English Bicycles" or, fixed & three speed transport made in England from the 1890's up until the 1970's when the British bicycle industry started to decline, from companies like Hercules, BSA, Rudge, Raleigh, Elswick, Humber and Sunbeam that produced millions upon millions of bicycles, many of them exported to our former "Empire" to be worked hard as primary transportation for the masses.
I also like finding out the history of the machines that I fix and writing a blog about them while I do it, recently starting a blog here: www.oldenglishbicycle.wordpress.com
My latest resto is a 1936 Sunbeam, the last full production year of the true Wolverhampton Sunbeamland factory before been sold. 1936 was also the Year of the Berlin Olympics and the Zeppelin Hindenburg and the Supermarine Spitfire made their maiden flights within a day of each other. Cracking stuff.
I will probably be found in the vintage bicycle section mainly, although I am not adverse to ogling a nice handbuilt racing machine from the likes of Jack Taylor or Hetchins!
Hi
Have a number of frames from 40/50's
Galibier, Bates, Hetchins etc

thanks

OP
OP
Creakycrank

Creakycrank

Hi
Have a number of frames from 40/50's
Galibier, Bates, Hetchins etc

I do like the 30's to the 50's period, there was such a diverse range of manufacturers to choose from, and you could buy a typical town bike, a delivery bike or even a "Military Bicycle" complete with holder for your .303 Lee Enfield rifle.
Thanks for the welcome from everybody by the way, and the stats on my blog have noticeably jumped up recently, so thanks for everybody who has viewed/commented, its the first time I have done something like it, so it's good to know I am not talking to myself (which makes a change!).

Top Bottom