Not personal but computer problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

So whenever i turn my macbook up, these things always come up. I never click on them they just pop up first thing when i turn computer up but WTF are they? i'm rubbish with computers so i'm just asking this incase you guys know. My mum has no idea either. Another weird thing is on my college website which is secure it says site may have been hacked.

Is this a separate thing or related? Also any ideas what caused both of this (if there is a cause and how to deal with it?

upload_2018-3-20_20-49-37.png

Screen_Shot_2018_03_20_at_20_40_11.png

ps my brother was the one who set my computer up but he's away.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Simple Google search shows this - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7135825

Looks like it is a scam and best deleted. I am no tech whiz so take my advice on this at your own risk!

irw

Quadricyclist
Advanced Mac Cleaner...oh dear. I think that's the one Mrs IRW managed to install on her computer at one point. IIRC it was a bit of a pain to remove.

Start by carefully having a look at some of these sites. Whatever you do, don't try and install something else that claims to get rid of it, otherwise you'll most likely end up in an old-lady-who-swallowed-the-fly-to-catch-the-spider situation! And in the future, be careful what you click on!

irw

Quadricyclist
[QUOTE 5188332, member: 45"]I thought applE devices didn't have these problems?[/QUOTE]
They do if you click 'download and install' off one of those confusingly designed download sites, or if you don't unclick the 'also install this wonderful piece of software' button that you get on some shareware installers...

[QUOTE 5188332, member: 45"]I thought applE devices didn't have these problems?[/QUOTE]
The don't as much because the OS is more secure than windows but mostly because there are less of them, so they are not such are target. But neither fact protects you from be conned into installing malware.

@Randombiker9, I'd suggest you make an appointment with the Genius bar. They are free, and I would hope they would fix it on the spot. If they don't, you can decide if you want to pay for them to sort it out. very important: MAKE A BACKUP before you go in!

TMN to @irw

irw

Quadricyclist
The don't as much because the OS is more secure than windows but mostly because there are less of them, so they are not such are target. But neither fact protects you from be conned into installing malware.

@Randombiker9, I'd suggest you make an appointment with the Genius bar. They are free, and I would hope they would fix it on the spot. If they don't, you can decide if you want to pay for them to sort it out. very important: MAKE A BACKUP before you go in!

TMN to @irw

Ok, I give up, even google won’t tell me what TMN stands for...?

Ok, I give up, even google won’t tell me what TMN stands for...?
No, google won't help you with that. It's a Cyclechat thing. It predates my joining CC (I've only been here 8 years), but it's about our own TMN aka @User13710 being ignored when she posted something but then someone else (probably male) said the same thing previously.

So many of us, when we post something and realise that someone else (gender independent) said the same thing, we award them a User13710 to acknowledge they said it first.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE3r_CgScms

Last edited:
Top Bottom