New type of tyre valve

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Is this another solution to a problem that is a lot smaller than the blurb makes out? Schrader valves are a standard for millions of vehicles worldwide, and I've not really had a problem with them, even on bicycles. Small wheels and high spoke count issues seem to be more of a problem related to the size of the pump head which this new system doesn't really address. Probably sports riders will cling to their Presta valves for a long time yet, even if the dinosaurs at the UCI even eventually accept this new standard.

As for Dunlop/Woods valves, when did you last see one of those, unless you are an enthusiast for vintage cycles? That is actually a perfectly good valve too, even though it has gone out of fashion.

I think we will just end up with yet another standard to add to the collection. How will the click mechanism cope with long term wear, road dirt, etc? Only time will tell. Perhaps what will ultimately decide what wins out is how effective the marketing is, leading to people fitting what's easily available in the shops, or what is fitted as standard to new bikes. If the motor industry adopts it, it'll flow down elsewhere. With fewer dedicated bike shops about and supermarkets selling a dumbed down selection of bike accessories, perhaps what ends up on their shelves will also have a big influence.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I must say I've never had a problem with Shrader valves, apart from once on my motorbike but that was because the garage pump head was mahoosive. Presta valves are more of a pain but only take a few seconds longer to do. I disagre with new designs of things when the current design has no problems. Introducing new fittings just leads to more frustratino and more newer fittings being bought for no reason. Imagine if plug sockets had more than one type of fitting!

Alex321

Guru
German manufacturer Schwalbe has revealed what it says will become the industry standard in bicycle tire valve systems.

That is optimistic, given we still have plenty of all three "current" standards around (not so many of the Woods type, but many of both Schraeder and Presta).

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
This looks similar in principal to the standardised quick-release hydraulic / pneumatic couplings found in industry, which are typically pretty bomb-proof.

While not insurmountable I can appreciate the issues with both existing common types of valve; Schraders are irritating especially in high-pressure applications if trying to force the pump head on against tyre pressure while toggling the lock over.. while Prestas can certainly be fragile. On top of that the need to compress the rubber bush over a threaded valve body can take a lot of effort and doesn't do the pump head any favours.

I think the big hurdle will be getting momentum in mass-adaptation with the need for adaptors or different pump heads.

That aside I think this system looks like a nice, user-friendly solution with legit, tangible benefits. Suggesting that it's a solution looking for a problem is maybe selling it short.

simongt

Guru
Is this a solution to something that, worldwide, isn't really an issue - ?
Apart form the minor fiddling to get the smartvalve connector on the trackpump onto our Brommy tyres, I'm perfectly happy with the current system. :okay:

Conrad_K

My trike came with Presta valves in front. I didn't really care, but a after pricing a new (decent) tire guage and a pump, I bought some Presta-to-Schrader adapters. When it's time for new tires, I'll open the rims up to take Schrader tubes.

Happy_Days

This looks similar in principal to the standardised quick-release hydraulic / pneumatic couplings found in industry, which are typically pretty bomb-proof.

While not insurmountable I can appreciate the issues with both existing common types of valve; Schraders are irritating especially in high-pressure applications if trying to force the pump head on against tyre pressure while toggling the lock over.. while Prestas can certainly be fragile. On top of that the need to compress the rubber bush over a threaded valve body can take a lot of effort and doesn't do the pump head any favours.

I think the big hurdle will be getting momentum in mass-adaptation with the need for adaptors or different pump heads.

That aside I think this system looks like a nice, user-friendly solution with legit, tangible benefits. Suggesting that it's a solution looking for a problem is maybe selling it short.
I agree ☝️

It looks more user-friendly and robust than a Presta valve. However, mass adoption won’t be straightforward.

Top Bottom