New to road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Hello to the forum. Cycled all my life but just got my first road bike for longer distances and to get fitter as 50 approaches.
Any advice on autumn / winter gear and training would be helpful.
Cheers
Tom

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Don't eat yellow snow.
Other than that ....

Watch out for wet leaves, plenty layers, good lighting, decent bib longs, overshoes, good gloves, best jacket money can buy and don't overdo it in the cold. Just get some decent gentle miles in.

Welcome by the way!

Again welcome to the forum, winter is usually the time for long steady miles, leaving the strength/speed nearer to Spring, ( unless you race CX ) so just go ride your bike basically as much as you can, no need to knock yourself out every ride. As to riding in the winter my pet things to take care of is my feet and hands. Decent waterproof/windproof gloves and shoe covers of some type. My preferred shoe covers are neoprene ones, usually warm if not always waterproof.
Usually have a buff on when really cold and a headband/ear cover.

paul_sw

Welcome to road cycling - if you want some social rides - autumn is also a great time of year to join a local cycling club - most clubs have Sunday social rides with a cafe stop and as it's the end of the racing season and the average speeds tend to drop off (a little)....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks all. I'm trying to do it on a budget, and a lot of this dedicated bike gear is pretty costly. Hope to pick up a few s/h bargains here too. Steed is Surly Pacer 2011 and currently averaging around 16mph on short rides.
Decathlon is usually good price-wise.
Also, I pick-up loads from Go Outdoors, just basic multi-purpose stuff in their sales, my fave base layer is Regatta cheapie, thin fleece etc. You don't have to go mad to stay warm and dry. These guys have some real bargains especially on Merino base-layers once in a while: https://www.sportpursuit.com/

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Thanks all. I'm trying to do it on a budget, and a lot of this dedicated bike gear is pretty costly. Hope to pick up a few s/h bargains here too. Steed is Surly Pacer 2011 and currently averaging around 16mph on short rides.

welcome to the mad houde

Aldi and Lidl are good to

Good average for a beginner

where are you based ?

OP
OP
Randomnerd

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Thanks biggs. I'm in North Yorkshire. It is rather mad in here isn't it. Someone should open a window.
I'm looking forward to being able to bid on some of the goodies that might come through the Classifieds. Rather in need of some winter bib tights now that the nights are drawing in.

Top Bottom