New to me touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buzz22

Über Member
20240731_153340.jpg

20240731_154012.jpg

20240731_153920.jpg

A few days ago I picked up this custom built touring bike off facebook marketplace.

The frame is Reynold 531 Super Tourist and rides very nicely.

The gentleman who designed and built it is a retired mechanical engineer, and a lot of thought went into the design. He built it for a family member around 10 years ago who had similar dimensions to me (6'5" and solid).

Elongated and curved seat stays add comfort to the ride and along with the long chain stays mean that my heels are unlikely to ever hit a pannier.

The driveline is all Shimano- 105 triple crankset and front derailleur, Deore rear derailleur and Ultegra brifters for the Shimano V brakes and 3 x 9 speed shifting.

700c wheels with 32mm tyres ( it will take 35's) give a good ride, overall I'm very happy at this stage.

All I've done is adjust the ergonomics, new bar tape and swapped the Tioca rack for a Topeak rack to fit my existing luggage.

A decent ride awaits.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Wow, that is a looong frame. You could double the size of that pannier and still have room.
If you and the designer have similar dimensions you've just saved yourself a heap of money on a custom job
You don't say what you paid for it.

What length cranks do you have.
The frame looks very proportional, unlike most big frames. I didnt notice the "long" chainstays until you pointed them out. Where do you find chainstay tubing that long?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Wow, that would cost a small fortune to have custom built.
3 bottle cages within the main triangle, you could even get one or two more behind the seat tube😀

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

buzz22

Über Member
Wow, that is a looong frame. You could double the size of that pannier and still have room.
If you and the designer have similar dimensions you've just saved yourself a heap of money on a custom job
You don't say what you paid for it.

I paid $500 AUD, a bargain I reckon.
It's one of the first bikes I've had that looks like it fits me.

OP
OP
B

buzz22

Über Member
What length cranks do you have.
The frame looks very proportional, unlike most big frames. I didnt notice the "long" chainstays until you pointed them out. Where do you find chainstay tubing that long?

The cranks are 175mm. I'm not sure where he sourced the tubing, but he has made other bikes using various Reynolds tubing including 531 C and 753.

OP
OP
B

buzz22

Über Member
Wow, that would cost a small fortune to have custom built.
3 bottle cages within the main triangle, you could even get one or two more behind the seat tube😀

There are fittings to have another cage under the downtube near the crankset, I removed the cage as I thought 3 was enough 😄

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Looks super elegant, unlike a lot of very large frames which can be a bit garden gate-esque. I didnt notice until I read 6'5" and scrolled back up. It the long chainstays that make it, and the curved stays are great. it will also be super stable. I have a 531ST old Peugeot in more modest frame dimensions, it rides very smooth.

OP
OP
B

buzz22

Über Member
Looks super elegant, unlike a lot of very large frames which can be a bit garden gate-esque. I didnt notice until I read 6'5" and scrolled back up. It the long chainstays that make it, and the curved stays are great. it will also be super stable. I have a 531ST old Peugeot in more modest frame dimensions, it rides very smooth.

The low bottom bracket helps keep it looking in proportion I think.

OP
OP
B

buzz22

Über Member

20240702_162018.jpg

Here's one of my road bikes, completely different proportions. Very different feel for sure.

Top Bottom