New to cycling...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclecorfu

Regular
Hi all I'm new to cycling,
Had a bike for a few years and never really used it.
Now I'm getting older and carrying a few pounds more than I would like, I fancy putting that old bike to some use.
Any advice into what sort of fitness/time/miles I should aim for each week?
Thanks

MikeW-71

Veteran
:welcome:

To begin with just get out and ride. Set a target of, say, 5 miles and don't worry about how long it takes. Try and do that 2 or 3 times a week and you'll soon start to find it much easier and quicker. Then you can add a few miles.

Happy cycling! :bicycle:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi. Welcome to the forum. just ride your bike. It doesnt matter how far or not, gradually go a bit further each week. Above all, have fun amd enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
Cyclecorfu

Cyclecorfu

Regular
Just done 3.5 miles to my wife's work and back. First of many. Small step into the unknown. Looking forward to getting some cycling shorts!!!

geekinaseat

Nice one :smile:

Just enjoy it for now, if a ride stops being enjoyable don't push on and torture yourself just go home and go for another ride the next day.

You'll get fitter faster than you think, the main thing is to keep the enthusiasm and enjoy it!

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Just done 3.5 miles to my wife's work and back. First of many. Small step into the unknown. Looking forward to getting some cycling shorts!!!
see that was easy

OP
OP
Cyclecorfu

Cyclecorfu

Regular
Done a 13 mile ride today, got my new shorts. What a difference they make!!! Want to break a 20 mile ride. Only thing is my speed. Its not fast. Will it come with more miles on bike? Or is it cause my weight? Obv it harder to ride with more weight than not!!!

Top Bottom