Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pumpman

Hi,
This is my first post, with a brief introduction. I live in West Yorkshire. In theory, as I retired last year, I have all the time I need for cycling – but there is never quite enough. Still, my wife and I usually manage a few trips each week with the occasional longer adventure further afield.
I was a keen cyclist in my teens but then did not ride a bike for many years. My wife and I then realised it was a good way to keep fit together. (I had never been any good at badminton and she had flatly refused to play rugby.) Shortly before my retirement, we spent 18months in China, where we used bikes as our main means of transport – it is amazing how much more you can see of a country and its people from a bike.
As my wife prefers to be traffic-free, most of our biking is on bike-paths and canal towpaths, etc., so I am usually on a hybrid bike and the road bike comes out less than I would like. I have recently bought an old/vintage road bike, which I plan to restore – something I have talked about doing for years. I came across this site while I was looking for information for the project. As this is at the forefront of my mind, it will certainly be the subject of my first posts – but I am sure other subjects will follow not far behind.
So, that is who I am – and I am pleased to make contact with you all.

ScotiaLass

Guru
:welcome:
I was medically retired from my career several years ago, and got back into cycling last year.
I am loving it and since February this year have brought myself two new bikes; a Dawes hybrid for the shopping trips, and a Specialized 29er, so I can go play in the woods :biggrin:
I cycle a lot of towpaths - living between the Forth & Clyde/Union canals is handy!

OP
OP
Pumpman

Pumpman

Hi All,
This is a rather belated thank you for the very warm welcomes. After the first post, I immediately rushed off to the classic and vintage bikes forum to ask for help and information – so it was a while before I got back to see the responses. Since then, I have found the time to read - and thoroughly enjoy – the other contributions. I am now starting to feel a little guilty – so I must start contributing!!!!!!

bikeman66

Hi,
This is my first post, with a brief introduction. I live in West Yorkshire. In theory, as I retired last year, I have all the time I need for cycling – but there is never quite enough. Still, my wife and I usually manage a few trips each week with the occasional longer adventure further afield.
I was a keen cyclist in my teens but then did not ride a bike for many years. My wife and I then realised it was a good way to keep fit together. (I had never been any good at badminton and she had flatly refused to play rugby.) Shortly before my retirement, we spent 18months in China, where we used bikes as our main means of transport – it is amazing how much more you can see of a country and its people from a bike.
As my wife prefers to be traffic-free, most of our biking is on bike-paths and canal towpaths, etc., so I am usually on a hybrid bike and the road bike comes out less than I would like. I have recently bought an old/vintage road bike, which I plan to restore – something I have talked about doing for years. I came across this site while I was looking for information for the project. As this is at the forefront of my mind, it will certainly be the subject of my first posts – but I am sure other subjects will follow not far behind.
So, that is who I am – and I am pleased to make contact with you all.
Hi Pumpman!
Welcome to the forum. Hope the bike restoration goes well. I've had an old Raleigh Chopper (original 1972) in my garage for about 10 years now, with the intention of restoring it. So far, I've managed to take the rather knackered handlebar grips off, and that's about it. I keep telling myself it's a long term investment and it can only appreciate on the £5 I gave the bloke at the local dump for it. The Chopper is virtually complete (only thing missing is the little plastic window by the gear shift lever which informs you which of the three gears you're actually in). I guess it just needs my enthusiasm to get on with it, and your post may have inspired me to bring it back to its former glory.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi and welcome, sorry I didn't spot your arrival first time around.

I am envious of your china trip I would really like to think that when I have the time I shall do something similar rather than just sit and watch Jeremy Kyle all day ( which is more likely)

Respect.

Top Bottom