New member and bike pics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boragaincyclist

Regular
Hi guys, when I was a child up until I was about 16 I cycled regularly, although not on roads but on trails with my old man. However, as a motor enthusiast when I learnt to drive in 2008 I shunned the cycle in favour of my car which I had for six years. Since scrapping my car I have got into cycling again, but this time on the roads as a method of transport and for short journeys of up to 10 miles one way.

I am taken with how efficient it is, my fitness must have improved significantly since I was a teenager even before I got used to it as my first journey back in march was a 12 mile round trip and it didn't even feel like I'd done anything, back when I was a teenager that would knacker me out.

Also it is free transport and exercise! I never thought about it in the sense that it doesn't need any petrol, so once you've bought a bicycle, that's it! It would also be a great mode of transport in a disaster situation.

Anyway I used to have a lot of heavy rigid MTBs and my last bike when I was 16 was a full suss Apollo Excel which weighed a ton and was generally a sluggish nightmare.

Now I want to get back into it properly with a lightweight MTB so that I can go off road as well which is my favourite kind of riding.

This is my trusty steed for the time being:
DSCF0088.JPG

DSCF0089.JPG

My old man's 10 year old Sentinel Verticale from Aldi. £75 when new in 2006, left out in the rain for the past 10 years so looking a bit worse for wear.

It only has a front brake, the steering is bent, chain slips and wheels are buckled, it is a real comedy bike but it's got me back into cycling!

I am going to be asking a few questions on this site and then disappearing:hello:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:

Jody

Stubborn git
What do you think of my steed?^_^ It must be one of the most beaten up on here. I've put 100s of miles on it though.

Its not great but I have seen worse. All that matters is you can get some mileage in and you enjoy being out. The feeling you will get when on a modern bike is going to be great.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi and welcome. As far as a disaster situation...I am always amazed that the guys in the walking dead...or any post apocalyptic story are always searching for fuel...Have they never seen a pushbike before.

OP
OP
B

Boragaincyclist

Regular
Very true, after 6 years of car ownership I had forgotten all about the humble bicycle. For journeys within 10 miles they are amazing. I can't even imagine the capabilities of a road bike. I am more of an mtb person though. Still I reckoned that a modern lightweight mtb will still be plenty fast.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A bit late, but .... welcome!

Are you really 'Boragin' or did you drop an 'n' when typing your member name? :okay: (If so, then I'm sure that forum boss @Shaun would be happy to correct the typo. for you.)

Top Bottom