new London commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marihino

hello there,

I've actually been here for a few weeks and even posted a couple of posts.

Here's my story:

I've always had some kind of bicycle, never paid any attention to them though. Last one (until recently) was a Specialized road bike - don't know the model - which I inherited from a friend when I moved to a mountain location in Swiss Alps and he was just leaving the area. Not getting serious then is one of my biggest regrets, as it was right where the famous Stelvio, Fluela and Albula passes are. That was around 6 years ago. Then in 2010 I came back to the UK, and didn't have a bike until few weeks ago, when I couldn't stand the itch anymore. I bought a secondhand B'Twin Fit5, which is equivalent of current model Triban 540 (I think), basically a flatbar road bike with Sora kit and carbon fork. I love this bike; serviced it, keep on top of cleaning and oiling, changed the tyres. It's very fast and stiff. I do miss the drops though.

I am a freelance chef, so my commuting is varying depending on a day. Last couple of weeks involved return trips from Walthamstow (where I live) to Battersea Park, about 11 miles each way via Dalston, Angel, Trafalgar Sq and CS8 to Chelsea Bridge. Over two weeks I improved my time from 53-58 mins to about 45.

I'm planning to work on my fitness and go back to my magic location in the Alps next summer and attack those climbs properly this time!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Welcome to Cycle Chat. There are a good few other London commuters on here. And we are blessed to be able to commute in one of the greatest cities in the world.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Welcome to the forum. If you go back to the alps, post some photos, we love seeing photos on the forum :welcome:

OP
OP
marihino

marihino

thank you for the very warm welcome! Yes, I feel very fortunate to be able to do it in London, even if it's scary sometimes (I made sure to download and familiarise myself with The Guide before I started, great stuff). And sure, if and when I go to climb the Alps, I'll take a lot of photos and I'll christmas-tree myself in GoPros,

Top Bottom