New-ish at Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrsnightcrawler

Hello! I started road cycling for the first time this April. Before that I hadn't been on a bike since middle school! Went and got a Specialized Dolce, and I recently did my first 24 mile ride. I'm vegan, so I'm grateful for any tips anyone might have on what to eat before and after long rides. I also have Reynaud's, so I'm struggling with coping with my hands going numb. Other than those things, I'm just training and trucking along like everyone else! Oh, also for this month I'm trying for a total of 140 miles to raise money for childhood cancer research! Nice to have something to push me.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have Reynauds but don't have too much of a problem in summertime (though the last time I lost circulation was a couple of weeks ago when it was unexpectantly cool.) In wintertime I wear multiple layers, including two pairs of gloves and I keep my body warmer than others would do which seems to work for me to reduce the number of times my fingers go white.

k_green

I eat dried fruit and nuts during my rides which seems to work well - usually cashews, peanuts and raisins.
Before I usually have baked beans on toast or baked beans on a jacket potato. Simple and easy.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Food - slow release carbs - porridge is good. Flapjack on route, and bananas. When you get back, take the excuse to eat what you want! (well I do, and it has had a noticeable lack of effect on my cycling performance! :mrpig:)

@summerdays will say chocolate brownies...

(I'm assuming you can get vegan versions of things that might be made with butter/milk etc?)

On rides, especially in the summer, is to make sure you drink enough. Squash is fine.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Welcome to the Forum ! I'll second porridge as a pre ride meal, I swear by Jelly Babies as on board food but I'm not sure if you can eat these, I guess they contain geletine ? Flap jack, especially home made when you can add lots of fruit and nuts and bananas are also good.

Best of luck with the training.

Top Bottom