New guy from Coventry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ckeo

Hi Guys,

Callum here. Fairly new to cycling and brand new to this forum! Previously ridden a Mongoose somethingorother hybrid for commuting (got knicked after 2 months) and currently riding a single speed, again for commuting.

Looking to get into some serious road cycling now at the age of 25, will be picking up a roadie later this year through cyclescheme. Already got some questions if anyone fancies helping out?!

I live in Coventry, which is notoriously flat from what I can tell, so will need to venture a bit farther afield I think for some good solid rides!

Anyway, thanks for having me.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome: Rutland isn't far away.

If you want to keep the rides flat, go south east. If you want hillier terrain go north west, though there are no major challenges to be honest!

robjh

Legendary Member
Welcome!
There are quite a few short steep little roads if you head south from Coventry - eg King's Hill Lane, or Cryfield Grange Road for starters, just outside the city. It generally gets lumpier and more interesting south of the M40, but there is plenty of nice undulating countryside before that. And the Cotswolds start only 20 miles away! Try the hills around Ilmington or Edge Hill.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you want to keep the rides flat, go south east. If you want hillier terrain go north west, though there are no major challenges to be honest!
Yes.

I used to live at the Keresley end of Coundon and liked riding the lanes to the NW of Cov, out Corley/Fillongley/Arley way. There are some nice little hills round there but nothing too threatening. If you attack any hill hard enough though, it will feel hard, and those lanes are hard enough to be a challenge at speed.

Coventry-based CycleChatter @dave r might be able to come up with some more suggestions ...?

PS Oh, and welcome to CC, Callum!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Hi Guys,

Callum here. Fairly new to cycling and brand new to this forum! Previously ridden a Mongoose somethingorother hybrid for commuting (got knicked after 2 months) and currently riding a single speed, again for commuting.

Looking to get into some serious road cycling now at the age of 25, will be picking up a roadie later this year through cyclescheme. Already got some questions if anyone fancies helping out?!

I live in Coventry, which is notoriously flat from what I can tell, so will need to venture a bit farther afield I think for some good solid rides!

Anyway, thanks for having me.

Hello Callum and :welcome: I'm in Holbrooks, on top of a hill, I'm commuting to Nuneaton and back, I'm also out most Sundays, I'll often post a ride report on here in the Your Ride Today Thread, http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.8938/page-866, my last Sunday ride is on the page in the link post 17318.
One thing you could try is The Coventry Road Clubs newcomer's ride run by Jason Corah, slower and usually shorter than the main rides, https://www.facebook.com/CoventryRoadClub Or you could go on the clubs main website, go into the Club runs schedule click on one of the links and base a ride on the route in the link.
http://www.coventryroadclub.org.uk/?cat=26
and if you have a question post on Cycle Chat and we will try and help.

OP
OP
C

ckeo

What a welcome! Thanks for all the responses and thanks especially for all the advice on decent runs!

Quick question: poor form to immediately post for some help on selecting a bike?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What a welcome! Thanks for all the responses and thanks especially for all the advice on decent runs!

Quick question: poor form to immediately post for some help on selecting a bike?
For a lot of people that is their first post:biggrin: only snag being there are fans of every style and all frame material on here, just don't expect much help comparing 2 different BSOs:crazy:

OP
OP
C

ckeo

For a lot of people that is their first post:biggrin: only snag being there are fans of every style and all frame material on here, just don't expect much help comparing 2 different BSOs:crazy:

Haha I've left the question open for debate! I'm pretty new to all this, so I've got a current shortlist, but I've gone down the "What am I missing?!" route with the question. I'm sure it'll garner some decent responses either way. If it turns into a Specialized vs Trek debate then I'll leave it to the dust and just get a fold up one with tassles.

If it turns into a Specialized vs Trek debate then I'll leave it to the dust and just get a fold up one with tassles.

That's a fairly easy one as you are based in Coventry. Both are well respected brands coming around the same price points, but there's a big Trek store in Coventry!

Top Bottom