New from Liverpool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
I've been prompted by a welcome message to come and introduce myself, so here I am.

I've been cycling since childhood, and it was my main mode of transport all through my student days and much of my working life - don't have a car, don't want one.

But about 20 years ago, aged around 38, I started working from home, didn't commute, bike got forgotten about... I'm sure you know.

10 years ago I had a heart attack and a quadruple bypass. Recovery went well and I've been fine since -- apparently my heart has good collateral circulation, which helped (it means the minor coronary blood vessels are well developed - I like to think it's because of my years of cycling everywhere).

I've been moved to get back on my bike this year, by a few things...

I'm still overweight and really need to lose some, and diet alone has been too painful to succeed. It was the tenth anniversary of my heart attack recently. And once again I've been inspired by the Olympic cyclists (more, in fact, by the Paralympians - if they can overcome their hurdles and reach top world standards, I can surely get off my bum and back on my bike).

So my old Orbit Gold Medal is once again fitted out and shiny, and I've also built up a second bike on a Raleigh Royal tourer frame - the Orbit is lightly equipped with slick road tyres, and the Raleigh has knobblies, cantilever brakes, mudguards, lights, pannier rack.

And it's a lot of fun again.

Cheers,
Alan

steve50

Disenchanted Member
:welcome: Alan, isn't it great to "discover" the joys of cycling again, enjoy the forum.

I've been prompted by a welcome message to come and introduce myself, so here I am.

I've been cycling since childhood, and it was my main mode of transport all through my student days and much of my working life - don't have a car, don't want one.

But about 20 years ago, aged around 38, I started working from home, didn't commute, bike got forgotten about... I'm sure you know.

10 years ago I had a heart attack and a quadruple bypass. Recovery went well and I've been fine since -- apparently my heart has good collateral circulation, which helped (it means the minor coronary blood vessels are well developed - I like to think it's because of my years of cycling everywhere).

I've been moved to get back on my bike this year, by a few things...

I'm still overweight and really need to lose some, and diet alone has been too painful to succeed. It was the tenth anniversary of my heart attack recently. And once again I've been inspired by the Olympic cyclists (more, in fact, by the Paralympians - if they can overcome their hurdles and reach top world standards, I can surely get off my bum and back on my bike).

So my old Orbit Gold Medal is once again fitted out and shiny, and I've also built up a second bike on a Raleigh Royal tourer frame - the Orbit is lightly equipped with slick road tyres, and the Raleigh has knobblies, cantilever brakes, mudguards, lights, pannier rack.

And it's a lot of fun again.

Cheers,
Alan
Welcome along, keep going, if it isn't fun, there's not much point:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
Wow, I go out for a quick bike ride, and I get back to all these nice messages ^_^

It does feel great being back in the saddle again. It felt weird and a bit wobbly at first, but after the first mile it felt just like the old days. I haven't cycled around the Liverpool area for a very long time (I've moved around a bit, and most of my miles were done around Hampshire and Dorset), but there's certainly lots of good riding round here - I used to head off to Cheshire, Chester and North Wales in the old days.

As for the Orbit, this is what the poor thing looked like when I dragged it out of "storage" - https://www.flickr.com/photos/oscroft/29335849685/in/dateposted-public/

This was part way through fixing it up - https://www.flickr.com/photos/oscroft/28719490473/in/dateposted-public/ (and yes, the minute I uploaded the photo I spotted I had the rear brake on the wrong side :whistle:)

It looks prettier than that now with the bars taped and a nice new Brooks saddle on it - I'll get some pics.

I'm pleased with the Raleigh Royal rebuild too - I've just been out for the first time on it (apart from half a mile the other day to check the brakes worked), and I had a really nice 16-mile ride.

Alan
dateposted-public

Last edited:
Top Bottom