Mudguards on a carbon bike- Direct bolt into frame ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So I sourced my Merida scultura endurance 4000 mainly because it claimed to be fully mudguard compatible - well it is - but not in a practical sense.

There are small holes in the rear of the carbon frame - you push adapters into these secure with a grub screw - you then screw the guards into the adaptor or what i call hoops. These are incredibly fragile and Ive broke 2 in 6 months - the second time with near disastrous consequences as the loose guard got tangled in the rear wheel on a 35mph descent - nearly catapulting me over the bars in the process.

Ive argued with shop that bike isn't fit for intended purpose as the method of attaching guards isnt robust and downright dangerous.

but looking around this seems to be how carbon bikes attached rear guards - none seem to have a thread that you bolt directly into -( like the front forks do)

So can you bolt directly into a CF frame - like you do on alu bikes

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You could use P clips - just don't turn into a gorilla tightening them. Or get SKS Raceblades of one type or another. I've got Raceblade XL's for the CX bike - only when it's got road wheels on and it' wet/winter. They clip on in about 20 seconds.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
You could use P clips - just don't turn into a gorilla tightening them. Or get SKS Raceblades of one type or another. I've got Raceblade XL's for the CX bike - only when it's got road wheels on and it' wet/winter. They clip on in about 20 seconds.

Yes - I've used some clip ons on the rear of the Merida.

My question is more will there/is there a carbon bike where the guards bolt into the frame without some adapter gizmo. I'm thinking carbon rear stays are just too thin to accommodate a bolt thread.

si_c

Guru
Trek Domane SL also has mudguard mounts on it. They're designed to work with the Bontrager NCX2 mudguards, but they should work with pretty much anything.

Alex321

Guru
My Cube Attain uses adapters - that come with the Attain specific mudguard set.

But the Cube ones aren't fragile - I haven't broekn any in 3 years, 11,000 miles. I break one actual mudguard and had to replace them, but I just re-used the existing adapters.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
My Cube Attain uses adapters - that come with the Attain specific mudguard set.

But the Cube ones aren't fragile - I haven't broekn any in 3 years, 11,000 miles. I break one actual mudguard and had to replace them, but I just re-used the existing adapters.

I went for the SKS Raceblades XL for my Attain, easy to take on and off once you've got the set up right. They were reasonable at the time, got them in a sale.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I've attached mudguards using zip ties on occasion.
Poke two holes in the mudguard with a hot spoke, thread the zip tie in one and out the other, connecting the ends around the frame/forks.
mudguard1_zps3cc7a1dc.jpg
mudguard2_zps04a95cca.jpg

I found I got more tyre clearance than using a bolt.

Top Bottom