Miles per day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chaneyrich

I usually train around 30 miles a day. On a long distance trip what do others usually plan on as far as miles per day?

ExBrit

Über Member
I also ride about 30 miles a day, on a bike if I can otherwise on the trainer. I have a three multi day trips planned for the next 12 months and generally look to ride 50-60 miles a day. I will ride up to 100 miles if there are no suitable places to overnight. I'm using hotels, not camping.
HTH

OP
OP
C

chaneyrich

Thank you very much for the info. That’s about the ball park I’ve been looking at. Have a great time on your upcoming multis.

Emanresu

I also ride about 30 miles a day, on a bike if I can otherwise on the trainer. I have a three multi day trips planned for the next 12 months and generally look to ride 50-60 miles a day. I will ride up to 100 miles if there are no suitable places to overnight. I'm using hotels, not camping.
HTH

Same here but it depends on the geography. 30 miles with hill climbs is a lot different from a 60 mile coastal route especially day after day.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
40 tops, by preference. Any more and sightseeing isn't relaxed because you've always one eye on the time and check in deadline for the overnight stop. I'll do 60 max if we can start early and plan not to visit much on the route. I did a couple of 80ish mile days in 2020 but those were the days leaving and getting home, and lots of places weren't open anyway.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll find riding regularly actually more benefit than once or twice a week. I commute 20 miles a day, and will maybe do 20-40 miles at weekend depending on time pressures. With that you are building a good base, and I've had no problem doing long rides where I'm on the bike for 8-10 hours a day. Recently did a 130 mile Sportive with 11k of climbing.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My commute is 10 miles each way then a 65 ish mile ride with a cafe stop on the weekend.A couple of times a year i try to get a 100 mile plus ride in that involves a couple of stops .
Sportive wise i generally try to do one or two and apart from grab and go at the feed stations i just keep going for around 70 ish miles

Jameshow

Veteran
I ride 25 miles once a week,
2x 10k running
Walk everywhere locally,
and whatever additional rides I can fit in.

I'm on maintenance tbh

But I did go sub 20 last week at parkrun!

Big T

Guru
If you are planning to ride all day, then I aim for 60 miles a day. That’s probably 4-6 hours riding, which gives plenty of time for a bit of sightseeing and cafe stops. When I did JOGLE, I did this and it worked out well. Our longest day was 75 miles and shortest about 40 in a very hilly area. We were carrying our own bags and did average around 10mph over the course of the whole trip. If you aren’t carrying bags then you should be faster.

Last edited:

Freeweel

Regular
I did about 70 per day on lejog, although no heavy camping gear. That let me have huge breakfast, leave at 9am, and check into the next b&b by three ish with a bit of time to shower, wash kit and explore. Still in awe of those people who carry twelve ortlieb panniers and a small wardrobe on the back. I think I'd manage about ten miles a day if I loaded up like that.

Top Bottom